Windows Defender plus Avast

Bob DeFranco

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I notice that a number of posters have suggested running two antivirus/malware programs, such as Avast plus Malwarebytes. I have also seen postings stating that running more that one antivirus program will cause system instability and crashes. So, my question is: can I/should I run Windows Defender plus Avast?

Bob DeFranco

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Thanks. If you are running Windows Defender and Avast together without any problems, then I will have to find some other reason why Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor - Warfighter are crashing. I was hoping this would provide a simple solution. Oh, well...

Bob DeFranco

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Thanks. That's why I wrote "antivirus/malware programs" in my original post. It looks like that's what Windows Defender is as well. I thought that would exclude any conflicts between it and Avast.

Bob DeFranco

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Good thought, though this is a recent problem with BF3. MOHW is actually running better recently, but still crashes. What's the best way to check for graphics card temps while I'm running the game? (I realize this is a topic for another forum, but since we were talking...)

Bob

bertbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

One of my older systems is a quad core and was running so badly I was going to go for a system. The box was originally pretty high end but is close to eight years old so it didn't owe me anything.

One day I was watching as a scheduled scan by Windows Defender started and I decided to disable it altogether since Avast had been doing a good job. What a difference in performance! The system is once again running fast with just Avast. The two AV programs were battling each other during their scan process and killing all IO performance. I'm so annoyed I didn't catch this earlier.

Ditch Windows Defender!