Athlon 1.4 Temperature very highhhhh

G

My system:
CPU: AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
Mother Board: ASUS A7A266
Fan: Thermaltake Super Orb for socket 462 upto 1.5 GHz

The CPU temperature of my computer is at 62 Celcius on the power management from the bios... I think it is too high!! it is normal? must I consider this as normal or too high? If it is not, what kind of Fan is do you suggest to me?

thanx!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Your heatsink sucks ass, orbs suck except for the dragon orb, get a swiftech, or get a thermoengine, much better. That is your problem.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Put your PC in a bath full of water it should run at lower temperatures then without the added expense of buying a better HSF. The fact you won't see anything on the monitor is because it has such a large electric build up stored in it's circuits that it will have shut down to stop components blowing out. This is due to the cpu overheating and malfunctioning and therefore telling the PSU to send more power then it should to the monitor. You can resolve this problem by allowing it to disapate this electricity by sticking a paper clip onto it's power connector and then putting the other end of the paper clip in a live power supply (you will have to hold it in place with your bare fingers), this will allow it to disapate the charge in it's circuits into the power socket and so it should work fine afterwards...

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hello fugger/amdmeltdown.

your other name(s) get banned did they?

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

G

Those temps are too high for me. I have an AMD 1.1 that stays under 60 degrees until I start taxing my system more that usual. It gets buggy when it hits 61 degrees. Get rid of the orb (I have one too) and go for a swiftech if you have the money, that's what I'm doing.
Unfortunately AMD procs run hot but supposedly the Athlon 4's will run much cooler.

I'm blazing by all of you with my TRS-80.

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Hi,

I want to buy T1.4, and planning to oc it to optimum, is this hsf can take the heat, GLOBAL WIN FOP32-1 (FC-PGA/Socket-A)?

Thx

Oct_7

[] [_] [-

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to buy T1.4, and planning to oc it to optimum, is this hsf can take the heat, GLOBAL WIN FOP32-1 (FC-PGA/Socket-A)?
No, I don't think so. It's OK if you won't overclock.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Then, can u give me an advice? but not swiftech, it is not available in my country.

Btw, what is the max speed for the oc T1.4, if I have mb that support 6-15x, & core voltage 1.6-1.85 V? Running on 266?

Thx

Oct_7

[] [_] [-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Get a thermoengine, read heatsink roundups, hardocp just did one I think. average air cooled overclock for a 1.4 is 1.6-1.65

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Err no, mainly because I am not Fugger or AMDMeltdown...

If I had I would be spouting pro intel crap, which would be slightly hypocritical because I use AMD.

But I am however slightly gone in the head as you are no doubt noticing so kindly get the hell off my lawn before I call the police and don't slam my gate on the way out because it's only just been repainted and the hinge is loose

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
First, thx to all info that u had given me. But I forgot to ask the most imp question. What is the temp that can be considered normal? For, the swiftech, other than the price, I consider the weight. Man, it weight 760g!!!! Can my mb hold it? cos i'm going to put my casing vertical. Then, one more question, what is the weight limit?

Thx

Irwan W

[] [_] [-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I use the thermoengine, its pretty heavy, Check other sites and message boards for info on the weight thing, however, I thinka s long as you keep your pc still it shouldnt be an issue.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have my computer in my car right now (ThermoEngine) no problems with moving it.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Just out of curiousity...

Why's your computer in your car ?!?

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

FatBurger

Illustrious
LAN party tonight!
w00t! w00t! w00t!

Going straight there after work.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
If you aren't overclocking, anything under 60 celcius is fine!

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Swifttech MC-462-A. Bad ass. It bees da best on the market, aside from peltiers and water cooling. www.swiftnets.com

And it's 700g weight is not bad at all, considering how it does not mount onto the socket, but rather uses the 4 holes AROUND the socket to mount on to. And if you are worried about mainboard strength, don't. I have shot up burned out 486 mainboards before with pellet guns up to rifles. It can stop a .22 at around 50yds+ assuming it is standard long rifle.

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Then, what is the max temp that won't shorten the life of the cpu, if I oc it? BTW, I read from the hardocp if I'm not wrong. Man, do i need that much of thermal compound? All over my cpu? I saw here, it was put only on the metal part. So, which one is correct?

Thx

Oct_7

[] [_] [-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Damnit, i need to make friends with fatburger, I have a awesome system which needs lan friends lol, what games you gonna play burger.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
93 idle
114 load

1.5 now(150fsb, cant jack the multiplier to 10.5 without it not being stable, need to change sig) thermoengine hsf, and a kt7a raid mobo

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

I would consider below 50C is acceptable for high useage readings, the lower the temperature the better the life to a point. Asus probe has a history of reporting 10deg C out. Do you have an upper case extraction fan fitted to the rear of the case to remove that heated air, and an induction fan to feed airflow in?
(very hard to cool with hot air)

For a 1.4g Tbird you want to get the top end copper base HSF coolers, generally very noisy at this level but I can personnaly recomend the Dragon orb 3 installed with artic silverII thermal paste on the CPU core only, and good case ventilation.(My 1.4g Tbird CPU @ 30C idle) The Dragon orb3 with the 7000rpm fan is very noisy and if quiet is what you want stay away from this beast! Options on this HSF are 4500rpm fan, or the Dragon orb2 or 1 although these have alloy bases, go <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com" target="_new">(clicky) here</A> and see for yourself.

I suggest you go look at some HSF reviews and make a careful decission from that.

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
"...what is the max temp that won't shorten the life of the cpu..."

It's not a hard and fast rule. Lower temps give you longer life, higher temps shorter.

"...do i need that much of thermal compound? "

You only need thermal compound on the die itself. Use it sparingly. The idea is to fill only the microscopic pits and cracks between the HS and the die where the two are not in contact.