Sign in with
Your question

No audio after installing HD 7750

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:21:03 PM

The audio worked before I installed the AMD HD 7750 graphics card, and now I get the "Speakers not plugged in" error message.

Things I have done:
Checked BIOS, onboard audio is enabled (there is no auto option, just enable and disable).
Reinstalled windows
I just finished downloading and installing the latest drivers from my MOBO manufacturer.

I'm not sure what else to do, geek squad (hah) said they think it's either the CD that came with the MOBO (which I reinstalled everything on it after reinstalling windows) or it's a corrupted port. Which, since the mobo is brand new I can't really believe that. Especially since it worked prior to the graphics card. I installed the GPU, and then it wasn't used for a few days at all since I was out of town, then came back and there is no sound.

Any tips and suggestions appreciated, I will get and post any information requested.
The only thing I haven't done yet is take out the GPU and see if the audio comes back.

More about : audio installing 7750

a b \ Driver
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:39:37 PM

what do you see in sound panel in the windows control panel and do you have a via or realtek chipset on your motherboard ?
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:45:51 PM

In my CP Sound menu it has:

Realtek HDMI Output (Not plugged in)
Speakers (Not plugged in)
Realtek Digital Output (default device)

When I test the Realtek Digital Output, the little green bars light up as if it is playing sound but nothing happens.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 6:46:19 PM

The 7750 has an integrated sound chip to run sound through HDMI. My guess is that windows made this the default sound device. You want your onboard sound, or sound card to be the default sound device.

Control panel
Sound
In the play back tab you will probablly see 2 itmes.
One is going to be labled speakers, or headphons, then you sound card like soundmax or realtek.
The other will be labled HDMI audio.
Right click on the one labled speakers, or headphones and select Default Device.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 6:47:23 PM

The default device will have a green circle with a check mark on it.
Try setting Speakers as the default device.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 6:50:59 PM

Make sure the speakers are plugged into the audio port with the Green circle. My in-laws had the same problem you are describing and it turned out they plugged the speakers into the Digital Out port (blue) instead of Speaker out (green).
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:51:37 PM

It doesn't give me the option to make it the default device because it is "unplugged" while I have it plugged into either the light green in the back or the headphone port in the front of the case.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 6:51:56 PM

maybe the card's audio overwrote the default audio device. if ur connecting via HDMI, it may do this, especially if you are connected to display w/ speakers or a TV
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:52:22 PM

you should see the realtek panel in the sound icon with speaker active and see your realtek panle on speaker and test there must be active in the realtek to .
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:52:59 PM

I pulled the GPU out and ran everything off the onboard, and it says "no audio devices installed" now.
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:54:04 PM

ittimjones said:
maybe the card's audio overwrote the default audio device. if ur connecting via HDMI, it may do this, especially if you are connected to display w/ speakers or a TV

I'm running off the DVI port, no HDMI cords.
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:54:59 PM

I reinstalled the audio driver from my MOBO manufacturer, I now have the same list as before, minus the HDMI output.

Speakers still list as "not plugged in".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 6:57:50 PM

Kodieh said:
I reinstalled the audio driver from my MOBO manufacturer, I now have the same list as before, minus the HDMI output.

Speakers still list as "not plugged in".

Did you make sure you plugged the speakers into the GREEN port on your motherboard's audio back panel?
m
l
January 29, 2013 7:03:01 PM

maui67 said:
Did you make sure you plugged the speakers into the GREEN port on your motherboard's audio back panel?

http://tinypic.com/r/25a1df4/6

Quite sure. ;) 

I'm leaning to what the geek squad guy said about a corrupted port since audio still does not work after removing the GPU. And I don't have an extra slot for a sound card either. I really don't want to go through the process of RMAing the board. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 7:38:41 PM

what model board is it?
Maybe it is a simple as a messed up driver. If it is a realtek audio chip maybe the newest driver from the realtek site will correct the issue.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 7:43:29 PM

check in the control panel under peripheral is there is not a ? mark for the audio you should see the realtek and the amd audio ,also what is the setting in the bios for audio ac 97 or hd ?
m
l
!