System upgrade

G

Yet another newbie here needing advice from all you knowledgable people out there.
No General forum either....hope this fits here ok.

Anyway, i first purchased this computer back in 1995 i think it was, and since then its had just about every piece except the floppy drive upgraded/changed/replaced. My mainboard is running at its max CPU capacity (550 K6-2) meaning the upgrade needs to be a board too. But then evil struck, my graphics card (Geforce-2 MX), started making strange noises this week and eventually failed yesterday altogether, and a replacement/upgrade is going to cut my budget substantially.

Also a budget cut means i cant upgrade all components at once, id like to keep my old memory for a while so i need a backwards compatible board, and it needs to be able to run a SB Live without any problems a newbie like myself couldnt solve.

So,
My Needs - New Mainboard, New CPU, New graphics card,(Case/Fan ? ), Low cost.

Old components to carry over - SB Live, 2x256MB PC133 SDRAM Dimms(dont know any more than that, just genaric stuff [translate-junk ?] )

Im not looking for top of the line stuff, id be happy with around 850-900Mhz for the time being to suit my budget, preferably with a board that can go higher, but its not essential at the moment.

Oh yeah, and AMD ONLY ! (cough) =)

Thanks in advance

Athiron

P.S. incidentally i live in the UK, so any UK suppliers would be useful to mention to me :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Athiron on 08/23/01 10:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
OK, get a gf2 pro, it will go into your current system and get you back in the game 130-150(maybe less)
if you dont mind blowing 300 bucks pick up a gf3, you wont regret it.

next you can get a good 1.2ghz tbird/mobo combo for about 200 bucks(even less if you skimp on the mobo) I would reccomend kt7a if you want to start pc133, kg7 lite or a nforce board if you want to go ddr.

new case/psu 350watts, should be all you need.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~