Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a new laptop and was wondering if anyone could help me.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 15"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
This one I am not too bothered with.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not important, it will almost always be plugged in.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, light gaming at moderate settings. I usually play various MMOs, such as Dungeons and Dragons Online.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Web surfing, watching movies.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Again, not very important, 250GB is enough
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 2 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM is fine.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have no preferences towards brands.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Only other thing I should mention is that I do not want an integrated or intel GPU.
Hello and welcome to the forums
Unfortunately,within your budget, you can't good gaming laptops;however, have a look at Dell XPS 15 http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15/pd?oc=n00xl501&model_id...
It's a good option(just upgrade the RAM to 4GB). It's got 420M which is a low-end card but it can handle those games fine on low settings.
What you buy, make sure that you do the following:
1 - Create recovery discs. Take the time to do it. Computers do not have these discs anymore. They have a hidden partition for recovery. If your hard drive fails and cannot be accessed, this partition cannot be accessed and you don't have a way to restore the OS. So it is important to create these discs. Usually it have apps under their manufacturer folder.
2 - if you are going to plug the ac adapter all the time, remove the battery once is fully charged and store it in a dry location. If you constantly charge the battery, one of these days you will discover the battery will not hold the charge anymore. It will cost you at least $250US to replace it.
You need to be extremely clear about the important features in your laptop that you cannot compromise. The size of the hard drive is also important. There was a time when a 10 or 20 gigabyte hard drive was more than adequate.