Sign in with
Your question

Fast help needed!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 9:49:04 PM

I need fast help with my DVD-ROM, I know it's NOT THIS FORUM!, BUT people don't visit it as often as this one! So I just got my PLextor 16x and it works, cool and blah-blah. I need it in my Primary Master slot (I have my hard drive in Matser ATA100 slot different from Primary Master, I have an A7V mobo) and my DVD-ROM in secondary slot! Mobo detects DVD in Primary Master slot but doesn't in Secondary slot! waht to do? I changed cables, I set jumpers to autodetect and Seconday Primary and etc. I'm out of ideas! Help! Should I use ONE cable for DVD and CD-RW??? I heard it would make SLOW! HELP!!! PLEASE!
Thank, You!

More about : fast needed

August 23, 2001 9:51:57 PM

Go buy an ATA100 pci card or wait for someone to help you cuz im not that good with dvd and cdroms.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 10:03:33 PM

No, my HDD is HOOKED to Promise ATA100 slot!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 10:04:14 PM

wait..... you said you have one hard drive, a cd-rw drive, and a dvd drive? heres my recommendation
primary ide channel-
master: hard drive
slave: none
secondary ide channel-
master: dvd drive (probably faster reading that cd-rw so better used as primary cd drive)
slave: cd-rw
unless you have a seperate ata100 slot (giving 1 ata slot (or two if theres a secondary ata slot) and 2 ide channels)...
then heres my recommendations (as to the bios configuration I don't know what you'd have to do) (like previous, with jumper settings)
ata100 slot-
master: hard drive
slave?: none
primary ide-
master: dvd drive
secondary ide-
master: cd-rw
if you do have the extra ata100 and you can't get the second method to work right then either you need to somehow reconfigure it to use the ata100 controller and if theres no way to do that then I would just go with the first method, or (even though you probably won't notice any slowdown) if you feel its really necessary then just get an extra controller card and I would put the cd-rw on that...
August 23, 2001 10:11:16 PM

So why exactly do you need help so fast?

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 10:32:42 PM

Can't say, but I found out one thing! I have 2 ATA100 slots, one is Primary and another one is Secondary, then I have 2 IDE slots (though in BIOS seems like 4...)one Pri,ary slot and is Secondary slot. MY IDE SECONDARY SLOT DOESN'T WORK!!!! I plugged DVD there and it didn't work, I plugged PLextor there and it didn't work! Why wouldn't it work??? I checked all the cables and stuff like that! Thank you for your help! (also would I expeience WAY SLOW CR-R and CD-RW speeds if I'll try to use ONE cable for connection DVD and CD-RW???) Thank, you again, and again HELP!
August 23, 2001 10:35:18 PM

You can't say? Sounds like BS to me.

Looks like the IDE channel is bad.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 10:37:03 PM

OK, here I go again! need to add some things! I need Plextor to be primary cuz my DVD reads CDs AWFULLY SLOW! and Plextor does it FASTER! and in BIOS, it detected DVD (cuz it's in primary slot) and didn't detect Plextor (cuz it's in Secondary slot now) THOUGH when I set manually secondary master to CD-ROM - it detected Plextor ONLY as a CD-ROM and set settings for it, but after I estarted - it didn't detect it again, only when I set manually, it changes back to AUTO when I restart the pc. So I can say Secondary slot works in some way!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 10:37:20 PM

OK, here I go again! need to add some things! I need Plextor to be primary cuz my DVD reads CDs AWFULLY SLOW! and Plextor does it FASTER! and in BIOS, it detected DVD (cuz it's in primary slot) and didn't detect Plextor (cuz it's in Secondary slot now) THOUGH when I set manually secondary master to CD-ROM - it detected Plextor ONLY as a CD-ROM and set settings for it, but after I estarted - it didn't detect it again, only when I set manually, it changes back to AUTO when I restart the pc. So I can say Secondary slot works in some way! Windows detects ONLY ONE D DRIVE though!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2001 11:10:23 PM

BS, ok let it be BS! :) 
I found some other BAD thingy! now when I put my DVD ONLY in Primary Master and connctors are set to Primary also I - BIOS can't find the DVD now!!! and suddenly ALL lights are ON! I mean it shows like (it happens ONLY when the DVD in hooked to the Primary, doesn't happen when Plextor is in!) my HDD is working all DVD and CD-ROM lights are on with no stop! Even now it does! I just type and my HDD isn't working and it shows as it does! shows that DVD reads something while there is NADA in it!!! my A7V mobo BIOS was updated from 1004 to 1008 (latest0 3 days ago! HELP!
August 23, 2001 11:24:14 PM

Dude, please cool it on the ! and etc. Your posts get increasing annoying to read. You would probably get more help if you did it more formally. Refrain from double posting also.

I would have to say that either the channel is dead, or your mainboard has serious problems.
August 24, 2001 3:05:40 PM

Yes, I agree. The people on this message board have helped you far too much on your system already for you to suddenly demand urgent help for no reason.

!