About the new HP Dv6tqe 2011 refreshed model

Status
Not open for further replies.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I found this laptop and I think its perfect for my needs, so I placed the order and am waiting for it to ship, but I am having second thoughts.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&a1=Category&series_name=dv6tqe_series&category=notebooks&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp%2Fhhoslp%2Fpsg%2Fnotebooks%2FHigh_performance%2Fdv6tqe_series&v1=High+performance&aoid=35252

Lately I have been reading up on some consumer reviews of the HP brand in general, and they aren't good. SquareTrade reports that HP is the worst company that produces the most malfunctioning units a year and that they have a very unresponsive/unknowledgeable customer support.

I know I can't compare this line of laptops because it is a refresh from top to bottom, but with all the high quality parts it contains, I do not want it to turn into "a shoddy plastic brick." Yes I'm alluding to the fact that people are telling me the build isn't great.

I need to know if thats the case with the Dv6t, and if this laptop will last me with games and continue to work for the next few years. I've been waiting for mine to come in but I'm just worried I'm not getting a quality built laptop that I thought I ordered.

To anyone that has had this laptop, or knows about it, is this a good laptop that will last or just another model that will probably start having problems within a year? Also, what's the stock warranty on HP laptops(if I don't purchase any)?

Don't mean to offend anyone about their choice in a computer, I'm just worried.

Solution
SquareTrade did 30,000 repairs out of ~90.000 extend warranties sold (1 in 3). And they did say that 1/3 of all warranty requests they handled were due to accidental damage. I'm guessing the companies/individuals that get those extended warranties know from experience there is reason to suspect they're harder on laptops than what is normal.

There is always some uncertainty over new models reliability - and probably will be for a year or two till they get some kind of track record.
You always have a better shot at staying trouble-free when you get the upgraded models (like DV6 over the Compaq Presario or g6) budget & entry level models. But even the budget models (of all brands) have very good overall reliability.
The odds are...
Hello APAV;

Square deal? I think you mean SquareTrade.

SquareTrade is in the business of selling 'extended warranties'. It wouldn't be very good business for them to report that laptops can easily last for 4 or 5 years without any problems.

If you read something like this - wouldn't you be tempted to whip out the ole credit card and buy some piece of mind?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The standard warranty on HP laptops is 1 year (and doesnt cover accidental damage).
[strike]Didn't you pick a model that has a 2yr warranty included?[/strike] sorry, that was the dv7t Quad I was thinking about.

Lenovo responds to laptop reliability study

What does SquareTrade know? If a laptop covered by their extended warranty is repaired they collect the data and analyze that.
Who buys extended warranties? In most cases it's not a consumer like you or me. Most of the time it's businesses and they tend to be a lot harder on hardware than an 'average user'.
Does that invalidate their report? Not exactly, but it, IMO, does skew the data as Lenovo suggests.
The MFRGs have much better data than SquareTrade.

Not planning on dropping your laptop anytime soon? You should be OK.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Correct, I apologize for that. My phone likes to auto correct anything thats not a true word in the english dictionary or that isnt slang. True that they are out for profit, didn't think about that!

So then what about the general consensus I seem to get from forums that HP's laptop build quality is decent to under average compared to most other brands? Without much information of this new line, there is a lot of uncertainty around.

SquareTrade did 30,000 repairs out of ~90.000 extend warranties sold (1 in 3). And they did say that 1/3 of all warranty requests they handled were due to accidental damage. I'm guessing the companies/individuals that get those extended warranties know from experience there is reason to suspect they're harder on laptops than what is normal.

There is always some uncertainty over new models reliability - and probably will be for a year or two till they get some kind of track record.
You always have a better shot at staying trouble-free when you get the upgraded models (like DV6 over the Compaq Presario or g6) budget & entry level models. But even the budget models (of all brands) have very good overall reliability.
The odds are greatly in your favor. All the 'happy campers' never bother to stop by and talk about laptop problems because mostly they don't have any.

Asus, Toshiba and Sony have good reputations. But that's across the whole range of models and not just any one specific model. They have lower priced, budget models too. There's no reason think your HP won't last as someone's else new Asus K52 laptop or Toshiba 655.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.