Would this work & what would happen ?!?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ok, let's say you have an Athlon (T-Bird or Palomino, doesnt matter)

I know you can in the BIOS disable your "cache" which only does the L2 if im not mistaken, but is it possible to disable your L1 cache and only run off of your L2 ? Obviously there would be major performance hits if it would/could work, but is it possible ?? And Yes I realize you'd have to be stupid to do it to so I dont want to hear criticism about it, I'm just curious as to the affects and possibly some MAJOR overclocking attributes.......

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, it's possible. I can disable my L1 cache, L2 cache, or L2 ECC in my KT7a-RAID's ZT BIOS.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 08/24/01 10:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
It's L2 ECC JFYI :)

Really ? And what happens when you disable your L1 and just have your L2 enabled... ?!?

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeup, typo.

I don't know. I'm not dumb enough to try it.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

G

If you disable either the L1 or L2 cache, it slows the system WAY down. Trust me, it happened on a k6-2 of mine.
It ran at P75 speed.

Aklein

Member of the change the sig of the week lobby to congress

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, by disabling the caches, you will be able to notice the true advantages of DDR verses SDR! It would probably be almost a 100% difference.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Actually that is why i referred to an Athlon as choice of the processor to use in a test like that....becasue of the DDR FSB....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Disabling the cache is basically like slowing down your processor to your bus speed. 266MHz for DDR, 133MHz for SDR.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor