RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
I am running a Coppermine 933 on the 810 chipset, and I believe it's pretty clear I need a new mobo. I started seriously considering the 815 chipset on the ABit SE6 because of it's overall value. However, lagger brought something up. He advised me to spring for the enhanced 815 set that will support the new Tualtin processors. I do not like the Pentium 4, and my system would be plenty fast with a good coppermine. For now. My worry is that Intel will not want Tualtin to overtake its Flagship, the P4. MHz for MHz, Tualtin is a better chip, but it the lay public's eye, constantly developing the Tualtin might look like a backwards step. I want people's opinion on this -- do you think Intel will continue to develop the Tualtin to higher speeds right along with the P4? To me, that would prepare me for the future, but I don't want to spend extra $$ on a more expensive mobo if Intel won't actively develop Tualtin in favor of making the P4 platform (look) better. What do you guys think?

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
IMHO P3 for desktop is soon going to be buried by Intel. I doubt they will ever make an over 1.3Ghz CPU out of it. When they develop a P4 for laptops, then the P3 will be entirely phased out.

It is also arguable wether the 10 stage Tulatin architecture, even in .13, can go over 1.5 Ghz. And Ghz sell.

And Intel knows it is cheaper to produce one line of CPUs than two, speed bining them.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
i vote to buy the asus tusl2 tualatin board. shoot the 1.2ghz 512k has been overclocked to 1.4+ and it just came out.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I'd have to agree with you. The Tualatin looked to extend the P3 life just a little longer until Northwood can be pushed. Once that happens (and once the current celerons start being based off of p4s and not Tualatins), i think we can bid the chip adieu. Well, at least it won't improve nemore. I'm sure intel will still produce some P3's, just not anymore <1Ghz

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the Tualatin will continue for about a year and eventually reach speeds of around 1.8GHz Intel want to get their develpement cost back, and it will not be advertized. It will probably exist as long as the PIII-M does.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
from what i hear the p3 tully is going to be fazed out soon, and the tully chip will be released as the high end celleron, thus leaving intel with 2 product lines;
budget - celleron
pro - p4.

course in the process of re-releasing the tully i imagine they will ramp back the FSB to 100 so it doest look so good versus the p4.
they also may hamstring the cache size.
(if you doubt me remember, intel has done this before)

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Personaly i think intel will transform tuatulin in a celeron and kick out celeron.As someone else say i dont think tuatulin can get at high clock speed.

To your knowlege P4 is a better chip that any others chip.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
As a midstep maybe Intel will transform P3 in a high end Celeron, but as traditionally the value line is based on the same platform as the performance line (way cheaper for Intel), IMHO P3 will die as soon as a P4 mobile appears. Sooner than that the value (celeron) line will be based on P4.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
A couple of you seem to think that P3 Tualtin will become the new Celeron. Remember when the first Celeron was released after the P2 and basically Intel got slammed for producing a chip that lacked the cache of the P2 and was thus labelled as backwards-stepping? I wonder if a similar fate awaits the Tualtin. I imagine that, as someone said, the new Celeron will be based on P4 architecture. It's a real shame that Intel might phase out such a promising piece of hardware they've created in Tualtin.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It's a real shame that Intel might phase out such a promising piece of hardware they've created in Tualtin

I dont think so it ahve maybe 300 mgz left in to this.P4 is there only future on desktop.

In the mobile side tuatulin will made a much better chip that P4.Smaller less power......Slower but that a laptop and normally the got 64 ram or 128.A P4 northwood with 128 sdram is not better that a tuatuline.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, the Tualatin will probably be around as long as the PIII-M. This is simply because they come off the same processor line. In fact I would not be surprized if the PIII-M was actually the cream of the crop of their Server version, the ones able to run the lowest voltage. Intel has a habit of producing a whole line of processors from one core, disabling the parts not needed, such as extra cache or speed stepping. It would not surprise me if they tested, and if it would not run at the lower voltage required for the M version, they disable the speed stepping and call it the Server version, if it passes at the lower voltage they disable SMP, or if one side of the cache fails they disable that plus the speed step and call it the Desktop version.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Too bad celerons are a poor value, when you can get a higher clocked duron, or a higher clcoked tbird for less.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Exactly.. actually, intel is already selling the new celerons, but they are branded P4 for now.. when Northwood comes out, they'll get the name they deserve: P4/Celeron.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I dont think so P4 have higher cost of production compare to tuatuline.
Quite true - but it more expensive for Intel (or any other chipmaker) to have two separate chip lines than two fungible ones even if based upon the slightly more expensive model. This is because most of the CPU cost isn't related to direct costs (materials, energy,...) but indirect costs (investment capital, stocks, R&D,...).

Also it is cheaper to have only one type of chipset and motherboards that accept both the P4 and the "P4 celeron" than one supporting the P4 and the other the Tualatin as the "new celeron".

Traditionally Intel has killed the previous line of CPUs even when the new one wasn't all that "hot" (see the pentium introduction).