P4 2.0 GHz

G

I ran 3dmark 2001 and got about 2300 on the score. The system is a PIV 2.0GHz, 512MB PC800, 60GB HDD, Intel 850 mobo, ATI 64MB DDR Radeon VE, SB Live, DVD, CDRW and it is running WinME. The drivers for the ATI card are version 4.13.7081. Now I know this system should be better than that even for an OEM system with all the junk they put on them. I have disabled all the unneccesary stuff from loading. What is the major problem with the score there? Or is 3dmark just that biased against ATI cards?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The Pentium 4 2.0GHz has not yet been released. Are you overclocking your CPU? If so, what are the specs on the original processor and what modifications have you made? If not, you've been duped by an unscrupulous salesperson.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

You are correct but I have a P4 2.0 I am running right here and now. It isnt overclocked. I have the fortunate position to play with before it go out Monday.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't worry, it's a lot more common than you might think.

(Prophet, don't take the below too seriously.)

And your low score is because you bought an Intel. Be prepared to spend long nights trying every possible combination to squeeze an extra 2 points from your machine. You're also doomed to need a new motherboard next time Intel decides they feel like selling more products.
Speed? Bah, just because it says 2.0GHz on the top of your chip, it's closer to a K6-2 500 in performance. SSE2 is the future? Yeah, when all the developers decide they want to bother.
You think it's stable? Just wait, as soon as you leave it on for more than a few hours, all hell breaks loose. You'll be lucky to even have it show the little Energy Star logo next time you try to boot up.
Congrats, you paid way too much for way too little.

That was my impression of a Meltdown. How'd I do? I decided against the random name-calling. It's the more mature, sophisticated Meltdown.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

G

That is some funny [peep] you said there. As for the impersonation I give you ten stars! Now if you can give me some advice cause I have seen P4's posting higher numbers then this and the only real difference besides the motherboard is the videocard. This one being ATI Radeon and the others being GF3's. Oh, one more thing I didn't buy this as it isn't my system. Raystonn pointed it out that this one isn't for sell just yet. You have to wait til Monday.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Aren't you the lucky one. =) You might try ensuring all your BIOS settings are properly tuned. For example, make sure all the caches are enabled (L2, etc.) Someone posted a 3DMark hardware tuning guide around here a couple days ago. If you could find that it will probably help immensely. Also, make sure you aren't forcing vsync to be enabled in your video card's drivers. That always hurts your framerate, on which your score is based.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Thanks for the advice but since this is in an OEM system and an Intel mobo (no offense), I don't have many options in the bios to tweak cause the ones that were there were taken out. I have downloaded the latest drivers and am running it again. Thanks for all replies.

G

Well I popped in a Visiontek Geforce 3 card and got about 700-800 more points on 3DMARK2001. I am doing a fresh install of WIN98SE and then going to run the tests again. Will get back tomorrow to let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all the help and comedy, FatBurger.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You might want to install Windows 2000 as well. 3dMark 2001 is optimized for Windows 2000/XP and the latest 32-bit CPUs. The old 16-bit code in some of the older OSes and drivers will give you lower results in general. Don't forget to grab the latest driver off nVidia's website. It's fully optimized for the latest processors.

-Raystonn

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
And your low score is because you bought an Intel. Be prepared to spend long nights trying every possible combination to squeeze an extra 2 points from your machine.

LOL liar!

Speed? Bah, just because it says 2.0GHz on the top of your chip, it's closer to a K6-2 500 in performance

liar!

You think it's stable?

liar!

We can talk about this anytime you want.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
here's that <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">tuning guide</A> you were referring to.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><font color=blue>>>That was my impression of a Meltdown. How'd I do? I decided against the random name-calling. It's the more mature, sophisticated Meltdown.<<</b></font color=blue>

He's joking! Can't you notice that?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Ok, I found some info on what drivers to load in what order and did a fresh install of Win98SE. I ran some tests and here are the Sandra scores.

CPU test
1193/2426

Memory test

Multimedia Test

The 3DMark scores are still well below what they should be (around 3300 with a GF3 and 256MB of memory). The only thing I can venture a guess is the Intel mobo using an OEM bios. I thought about trying to flash the board with the Intel one but don't want to hose the display system. The motherboard or bios might be what is holding back the 3DMark and possibly lowering Sandra scores as well. The Quake3 timedemos' scores are as follows: demo1- 85.1 demo2- 86.1. This is at 1024x768 with all the eye candy turned on so these scores seem to be ok. I switched the resolution to 1280x1024 and the fps drops to around 75-76. ???

G

I have a p4 1.7 with 256mb and a radeon 64ddr. I got 3605 in 3dmarks 2001. Is your radeon a "ve" version??? The "ve" version only have 1 pipeline compare to the normal ones with 2. DOn't listen to FarBurger and his comments about how a 2Ghz p4 is equivilent to a K6-2 500. How he said that you are lucky to have the Energy Star logo next time you reboot is kinda funny. Cause i run a computer repair store and do you want to know the ratios of cpus fried from amd to p4 in the last 4 monthes? the ratio is 15/0.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Juin, as you probably know by now, YHBT :smile: .

(meaning - You have been trolled. YHL. HAND)

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

G

Cause i run a computer repair store and do you want to know the ratios of cpus fried from amd to p4 in the last 4 monthes? the ratio is 15/0.

thats prolly cause either:
a) not many ppl own a p4 compared to athlons
b) p4 dont oc as much

lol i got a score of 3100 in 3dmark 2001 on my overclocked duron 700@934 lol i have an ati card to and it's the slower ati all in wonder. your scores are very sad! even at normal 700mhz i get a score of 2800. lol thats funny... my duron 700 is faster then your 2ghz p4 crap lol... sorry just no one here likes the pentium 4. look at tomshardware's benchmarks of the pentium 4 and you'll see why it performs like a k6-2 500 lol!

no but seriously are you running 32bit color with 24 bit something shoot i forget .. try reducing it to 16bit color and 16 bit z buffer i think it's called actually. That should give you like 1000 points. To be honest it's your video card it's not as fast as a geforce 3. Those scores are about right for that card. assuming it is running at ~168mhz i think thats the oem (or registered? i get those confused) default speed. Where the registered version would be at 183 or even 200 for the speed of the ram which would make a huge difference.

How much did you pay for that piece of crap? i mean for that nice pentium 4? er :/ hehe.

jsyk your stuck at 2ghz for life until you wanna spend another 10 grand to upgrade lol.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
hum... Thats not gonna help the guy it all. If you want to be like that, you, meltdown, tbirdinside, and fugger should make your own forum for pointless ignorance.

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

actually i did help the guy.. those scores are normal. In my opinion.

I saw the p4 2ghz on home shopping.. 2400 bucks! what a joke! i can build you one kick ass system with an athlon 1.4ghz with a geforce 3 sblive, the most kick ass surround system with a 17inch lcd display for that price lol .. hmmm i wonder if i can i should try hehe.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>