Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
nice article i read at the register:
*300mm wafer fab up by the end of this year
*0.13 micron early next year. complete fab update to 0.13 by mid next year
*then 0.13u mixed with SIO technology
mmmmmmm
so this all equals
athlon4+thermal protection+ die shrink+more efficient construction.

www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21260.html

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Besides SOI, it seems that AMD is also investing on purer silicon to improve clockspeeds.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
They also will announce their partner for the new fab, and I have 5 bucks that says it is right next door to fujitsu GMD, which they recently aqquired and I WORK THERE WOOO HOOOOOOO, the gmd fab is built on a nice fat 40 acre campus(maybe more its pretty big) and has room for 7 fabs.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
0.13 micron,
SIO
isotopically pure si28

both amd and intel are working on them

all promise less heat, lower voltages, lower resistance
mmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Actually, intel is opting to skip soi, because it loses its benifit the smaller the feature size, so instead of working on soi, they are working on .13 and .10/.07 nm process technology, AMD is using SOI as a hold off till it has its .13 micron fab up and running, but once it does the soi's benifit will give it added performance. Isotropically pure silicon is a good heat reducer, and intel has not publically admitted working on that technology either.

Amd and Ibm are leading the way in those 2 technologies, while intel is rushing their smaller process capacities faster.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I *think* IBM is leading on the technological front regarding SOI and smaller processes, although Intel is ahead in the implementation of smaller lithographic processes.
AFAIK AMD is the only chipmaker publically working on purer forms of silicon.

BTW where is Motorola regarding this issue? (if I'm not mistaken they were investing in SOI).

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
in Gresham, Oregon?
I saw <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/21080112.htm" target="_new">this info</A> in The Enquirer refering to the AMD buyout of 50% of the plant.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Maybe that true.
Maybe the will made it.
Maybe they have a better form of the tech.
Maybe this time intel is tired of looking AMD copy there tech so they let them work.
Who really know.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Regarding manufacturing processes (lithography actually), it seems more as who (AMD or Intel) copies (or licenses :wink: ) from IBM, Motorola,...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Motorola is probably going to sell its semiconductor division, it isnt doing too good.

IBM is the one devloping soi, yes, but amd is a partner with them for it, so IBM's gain is amd's gain.

And thirdly arbee, yes in gresham, I work there and the general ruomor among the higherups is that amd plans to purchase the whole fab by next year, the campus has room for 5 more good sized fabs(or 3 megafabs) and I am 99% sure fujitsu will be amds partner for the next fab.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I too have been reading about Motorola's CPU operations/Semi problems. My take on it, though, was that Motorola has no plans to sell it unless it doesn't start to recover in efficiency and profits in the next couple years. So, the earliest Motorola would be putting it on the auction block would be 2003 or 2004.

I'm very curious as to why AMD is looking at 200+ acre sites in Austin area, presumably for a fab. I mean...why do they need a site that large if a 40 acre site can handle 3-4 megafabs (300 mm)?

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
OK, one I asked at work today and the fujitsu is supposedly 100 acres.

two, motorola hasnt been cutting edge for a while, all of the newer technologies being researched are being done by amd/ibm/intel, the power pc is not very advanced(process wise).

and third, a person I was talking with tonight, who is ex amd made that very same point, about the land in austin, however, AMD is partnering with someone for their next fab, I believe it to be fujitsu although that is by no means certain. I hope they do because AMD is much more stable than fujitsu has been of late, and furthermore, I like the technology behind the process and flash, while being new, is far from state of the art.

as for amd building on fujitsu, they already own half of gmd with plans to purchase the whole shebang next year, dosent it make sense to share the costs of a new fab with another company, such as fujitsu. Instead of buying and building the land, zoning, etc, the gresham campus is zoned and ready for development, potentially cutting 10 months(or more) off the build time for a new fab.(planning takes a long time).

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Actually I think it is a good policy from AMD to establish good partnerships with leading research companies (such as IBM) regarding manufacturing processes instead of trying to develop in-house. This allows them to focus on their core business (designing, manufacturing and selling processors and flash memories). In theory, at least :wink: ,...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I agree Arb. By partnering with various other technology ccompanies in developing new things, AMD can get far more bang for their buck. Where AMD is a much smaller company and has far fewer resources, this lets AMD keep up with Intel and even move ahead in some areas.

Add to this the advantages of being a leaner company, such as faster responsiveness to conditions and compatition and being able to rapidly adjust direction when necessary, and AMD should continue to push forward.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Tejas

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Guys,
AMD will be lucky to have a 300 mm Fab by Mid 2003, they don't grow on trees you know. SOI has only been proven to be a marginal benefit, for the costs involved. The only reason AMD is going with it is their thermal issues, which they still haven't resolved. As for buying 2-300 acre sites, here and there, all that doesn't amount to a hill of beans, unless they stop the profit margin erosion, what will they have to invest in R & D/new fabs?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Hense their partnering with amd, soi has a decent benifit, and a decent benifit is none at all, and soi increases the speed in which transistors can turn on and off, therefore increasing performance, it is not MOTIVATED by heat reduction, the isotropically pure silicon however is mostly motivated by heat issues.

as for r&d and new fabs, they are better off partnering with other companies to gain benifits while better able to provide good precessors at good prices, intel charges so much because they have to support their huge infastructure. AMD dosent need to do this, and the longer they maintain this, the better we all are.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~