Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot to windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 10:02:22 PM

Hello,
I have run bootrec.exe and have completely rebuilt the boot record. Now I get a message that says"a patch is preventing the system from starting". How to I find and remove the "patch"?

More about : boot windows

January 29, 2013 10:04:55 PM

Have you tried start up repair with your disc?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 10:44:26 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 4:30:00 AM

I have run startup repair multiple times with no success. Only after I made the new boot record could I get to the patch problem.
I do not think it is the HD. I set up another drive with a new windows installation. I can see the original drive and all the files on it. Only many of the files and applications are not there. Tried to recover to an earlier date with no success or even with a safe startup. Do not know if it is in the registry.
:sweat: 
m
l
January 31, 2013 5:24:08 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 

I got Hirens 15.2 and ran it with no success. I believe I screwed up the NTFS file system and I am researching now how to fix it if at all possible. Thanks for your suggestion on the HIRENS CD
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:38:14 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the NTFS file allocation table. I can see most of the files if I boot off a second Hard Drive but cannot boot off the original drive and anything associated with the desktop wont work (i.e.) no documents show in my documents.

m
l
!