Sign in with
Your question

All games crash, lots of script errors, Chrome crashing...

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 11:19:24 PM

Just a few of the things my poor girlfriend is experiencing with her PC. The one she had when we met originally was pretty much crap to be honest. It had a lot of problems, and it got to the point that we basically just built her a new computer, which for todays standards isn't a hotrod either, but I thought it would atleast be stable without her having to break the bank. Boy, I don't know if I was wrong or what but it acts up more NOW than it did before.

Specs:

Windows 7 64b
MSI 760GM-P21
AMD Athlon X2 3200
eVGA GT640
x1 4g PNY DDR3 1333
Thermaltake 420w PSU

Basically, it worked alright few weeks, seems like it was going to be fine. After a little while and getting it back to where she was with all her games and such, it started to give errors.

It has blue screened once on her that she told me. Also, pretty much ANY game she plays will play fine for a little while, and then just shut down. It will give her a "Blah.exe has stopped working." error, but she gets pissed off every time it happens and I never get to read further because she closes it. She also has problems with any of the currect browsers, they all crash. She uses Chrome normally and it has given her every error. It can crash multiple times within a ten minute stretch, and after a crash if she tries to restore it, it will just crash over and over until she opens a new window.

I reinstalled Windows hoping it was a software issue, and even on a fresh install and only an anti-virus' (Different one than before.) and Sims 3 installed, it does all this same stuff. But, NOW, it has a problem with script errors. Besides chrome crashing, she has no errors on the internet. So far I've only seen it happen when opening the launcher for Sims 3, and when I tried to manually update Flash, because it would not fully load the launcher, with an icon saying "Update Flash." so when I did, it repeatedly gives a script error, and will not allow me to advance at all in the process.

I thought maybe the game crashing issue was a memory problem, so I replaced the cheap stick she bought from one of the local places with that PNY stick, and now I'm waiting for her to come home and give Sims a try again and see if it crashes anymore, because I can't stand 5 minutes of that game before I want it to crash. So I will update with that if anythings changed, but in the meantime I'm hoping for some insight. What in the world is going on with this thing?
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 11:30:58 PM

You are running Windows 7 64-bit on skin and bones per say. You have 4Gb of memory installed into the computer. Have you taken a look to see what the system itself is using? When you start taking into account the games she's playing and whatnot there isn't alot of wiggle room left.

The base line specifications to run Windows 7 can be found . HERE .

What type of HDD do you have installed in the computer?

You can use either CPU-Z or Speccy to take the guess work out for you.

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to scan the system for potentially failing hardware.

Your PSU is a good brand (Thermaltake) but is a little weak for what you are trying to do with the computer.

If you perform a clean boot, instructions found HERE , does the errors and other problems continue?

Try those things and then get back to us.
January 29, 2013 11:34:31 PM

The issue can be related to memory or hard disk. Download the hard drive test tools from the hard drive manufacturer and see if any issues appear.

Also, when you reinstalled Windows, did you update the AV BEFORE restoring all backed up documents, music etc? Might be that there is a virus/malware in there causing the issue as soon as it lands in the new installation.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 12:33:31 AM

I'm sorry hedwar, but I can't see where 4gb is too little memory. My current PC is 4gb as well, and not once have I ever maxed it out. Nor should 420w be too little power for such a low power machine when I'm running 500w and also never had a problem with much more power consuming parts. Its not a PURE gaming machine. The highest quality game she runs in Sims 3 or Fable(1),Thats maybe an hour or two a week, the rest is spent on Pintrest.

HDD is a WD Caviar 500g SATA, and is new as well like everything else except the case. I'll check out the hard disk, because I know new doesn't always mean much. And yes, when we loaded Windows, first thing we did was load an AV and update it. She has not put anything back on the PC yet. Only installed Sims 3 for testing purposes.
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 12:49:58 AM

rebel2345 said:
I'm sorry hedwar, but I can't see where 4gb is too little memory. My current PC is 4gb as well, and not once have I ever maxed it out. Nor should 420w be too little power for such a low power machine when I'm running 500w and also never had a problem with much more power consuming parts. Its not a PURE gaming machine. The highest quality game she runs in Sims 3 or Fable(1),Thats maybe an hour or two a week, the rest is spent on Pintrest.

HDD is a WD Caviar 500g SATA, and is new as well like everything else except the case. I'll check out the hard disk, because I know new doesn't always mean much. And yes, when we loaded Windows, first thing we did was load an AV and update it. She has not put anything back on the PC yet. Only installed Sims 3 for testing purposes.

Do a clean boot into the OS and run Prime95, found HERE , and let it run for a while and see what happens. Booting into a clean boot will eliminate any potential driver conflicts or other software. You can also run memtest86+ from the Hiren's CD that I recommended earlier.
April 6, 2014 9:05:50 PM

Your games are crashing because commonly used Shared DLL file registration entries are corrupt. You'll have to unregister and reregister those Shared DLL files to fix-up the issue.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories.
2. Right click Command Prompt.
3. Select Run as administrator.
4. Execute the below commands:
regsvr32. Ieframe.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
5. Reboot the PC.

If the problem still continues, you'll have use this Quick-Fix Patch which would automatically scan your system and resolve conflicting modules, set of shell-extensions.
!