Dell 4550 with A05 Bios and slow DVD Burner performance

Quick question for anybody that can help.

I have a Dell 4550 (p4 @ 2.4, 1GB DDR, Western Dig 120GB 8mb cache HD
and NEC ND-3500A DVD burner (16x DVD burner).

I purchased some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R media and am trying to simulate an 8x
burn to this media with Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero (both newest
versions) and cannot get any performance over 4x with this drive and media.

I have chatted with several members of www.cdfreaks.com and they
indicate no problems burning 8x to this media with this NEC burner. So,
I am down to trying to troubleshoot any hardware problems that might be
causing this problem.

Things I have tried.
Set drives to master and slave instead of Cable Select
Changed IDE cable
Tried Nero as well as Roxio
Made sure Ultra DMA2 is selected.
Tried a different physical Fuji disk.

Things I have thought about
upgrading BIOS from A05 to A08 (hesitate cause I have read about
firewire card problems and I run a firewire card in this pc).

My machine is running Windows XP with all latest hotfixes (with
exception of SP2.....still waiting on that one).

Any ideas?
7 answers Last reply
More about dell 4550 bios slow burner performance

    I'd bet the media/drive combination. Nothing special about a 4550 that
    would limit you.

    I'd put it back to Cable Select though.

    Oh, one thing. The drive is AUTO in the BIOS, not OFF, right? It works
    with OFF, but not well.

    Tom

    Patrick L. Parks wrote:

    > Quick question for anybody that can help.
    >
    > I have a Dell 4550 (p4 @ 2.4, 1GB DDR, Western Dig 120GB 8mb cache HD
    > and NEC ND-3500A DVD burner (16x DVD burner).
    >
    > I purchased some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R media and am trying to simulate an 8x
    > burn to this media with Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero (both newest
    > versions) and cannot get any performance over 4x with this drive and media.
    >
    > I have chatted with several members of www.cdfreaks.com and they
    > indicate no problems burning 8x to this media with this NEC burner. So,
    > I am down to trying to troubleshoot any hardware problems that might be
    > causing this problem.
    >
    > Things I have tried.
    > Set drives to master and slave instead of Cable Select
    > Changed IDE cable
    > Tried Nero as well as Roxio
    > Made sure Ultra DMA2 is selected.
    > Tried a different physical Fuji disk.
    >
    > Things I have thought about
    > upgrading BIOS from A05 to A08 (hesitate cause I have read about
    > firewire card problems and I run a firewire card in this pc).

    I tried the A08 BIOS on my 4550 and had problems (it was a while ago,
    IIRC my 4550 wouldn't boot afterwards), so I backed it out to A06, which
    I'm still running. My DVD write performance is fine, although my Sony
    DRU-530A is limited as to which DVD-Rs it will write at 8X.

    > I tried the A08 BIOS on my 4550 and had problems (it was a while ago, IIRC
    > my 4550 wouldn't boot afterwards), so I backed it out to A06, which I'm
    > still running. My DVD write performance is fine, although my Sony DRU-530A
    > is limited as to which DVD-Rs it will write at 8X.

    I've been running A08 since a few days after it came out. No problems.
    Also running SP2. Also no problems.

    Tom

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:43:22 -0400, "Patrick L. Parks"
    <TryThis@WontWork.com> wrote:

    >Quick question for anybody that can help.
    >
    >I have a Dell 4550 (p4 @ 2.4, 1GB DDR, Western Dig 120GB 8mb cache HD
    >and NEC ND-3500A DVD burner (16x DVD burner).
    >
    >I purchased some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R media and am trying to simulate an 8x
    >burn to this media with Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero (both newest
    >versions) and cannot get any performance over 4x with this drive and media.
    >
    >I have chatted with several members of www.cdfreaks.com and they
    >indicate no problems burning 8x to this media with this NEC burner. So,
    >I am down to trying to troubleshoot any hardware problems that might be
    >causing this problem.
    >
    >Things I have tried.
    > Set drives to master and slave instead of Cable Select
    > Changed IDE cable
    > Tried Nero as well as Roxio
    > Made sure Ultra DMA2 is selected.
    > Tried a different physical Fuji disk.
    >
    >Things I have thought about
    > upgrading BIOS from A05 to A08 (hesitate cause I have read about
    >firewire card problems and I run a firewire card in this pc).
    >
    >My machine is running Windows XP with all latest hotfixes (with
    >exception of SP2.....still waiting on that one).
    >
    >Any ideas?

    I'd suspect the media first. Fujifilm sells 2 different grades of
    DVD-R 8x media. The 8x Taiyo Yuden (TYG02) are made in Japan and
    considered Grade A. The 8x FUJIFILM03's are made in Taiwan and are a
    lower grade. The packaging is the same, the only difference is the
    "Made in" on the label. You may have just gotten a bad batch too.

    I'd try another brand, like an 8x Verbatim. You can also use
    DVDINfoPro to check the manufacturer's code of the discs, as well as a
    lot of other info.

    www.dvdinfopro.com

    Dave

    Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    > Quick question for anybody that can help.
    >
    > I have a Dell 4550 (p4 @ 2.4, 1GB DDR, Western Dig 120GB 8mb cache HD
    > and NEC ND-3500A DVD burner (16x DVD burner).
    >
    > I purchased some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R media and am trying to simulate an 8x
    > burn to this media with Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero (both newest
    > versions) and cannot get any performance over 4x with this drive and media.
    >
    > I have chatted with several members of www.cdfreaks.com and they
    > indicate no problems burning 8x to this media with this NEC burner. So,
    > I am down to trying to troubleshoot any hardware problems that might be
    > causing this problem.
    >
    > Things I have tried.
    > Set drives to master and slave instead of Cable Select
    > Changed IDE cable
    > Tried Nero as well as Roxio
    > Made sure Ultra DMA2 is selected.
    > Tried a different physical Fuji disk.
    >
    > Things I have thought about
    > upgrading BIOS from A05 to A08 (hesitate cause I have read about
    > firewire card problems and I run a firewire card in this pc).
    >
    > My machine is running Windows XP with all latest hotfixes (with
    > exception of SP2.....still waiting on that one).
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Well, I figured out my own problem. It was that I was performing test
    burns and not real burns. For some reason, the tests only go 4x and
    that is all.

    Once I switched to truly burning discs, 8x was no problem at all with
    the media that I was using.

    Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    > Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    > > Quick question for anybody that can help.
    > >
    > > I have a Dell 4550 (p4 @ 2.4, 1GB DDR, Western Dig 120GB 8mb cache
    HD
    > > and NEC ND-3500A DVD burner (16x DVD burner).
    > >
    > > I purchased some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R media and am trying to simulate
    an 8x
    > > burn to this media with Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero (both
    newest
    > > versions) and cannot get any performance over 4x with this drive
    and media.

    > > I have chatted with several members of www.cdfreaks.com and they
    > > indicate no problems burning 8x to this media with this NEC burner.
    So,
    > > I am down to trying to troubleshoot any hardware problems that
    might be
    > > causing this problem.
    > >
    > > Things I have tried.
    > > Set drives to master and slave instead of Cable Select
    > > Changed IDE cable
    > > Tried Nero as well as Roxio
    > > Made sure Ultra DMA2 is selected.
    > > Tried a different physical Fuji disk.
    > >
    > > Things I have thought about
    > > upgrading BIOS from A05 to A08 (hesitate cause I have read
    about
    > > firewire card problems and I run a firewire card in this pc).
    > >
    > > My machine is running Windows XP with all latest hotfixes (with
    > > exception of SP2.....still waiting on that one).
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > Well, I figured out my own problem. It was that I was performing
    test
    > burns and not real burns. For some reason, the tests only go 4x and
    > that is all.
    >
    > Once I switched to truly burning discs, 8x was no problem at all with
    > the media that I was using.

    Definatly try the BIOS upgrade 1st as thats what Dell will tell you to do
    its not an issue
    "aleung" <aleung98@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    >> Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    >> > Quick question for anybody that can help.
    >> >
    >> > I have a Dell 4550 (p4 @ 2.4, 1GB DDR, Western Dig 120GB 8mb cache
    > HD
    >> > and NEC ND-3500A DVD burner (16x DVD burner).
    >> >
    >> > I purchased some FujiFilm 8x DVD-R media and am trying to simulate
    > an 8x
    >> > burn to this media with Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero (both
    > newest
    >> > versions) and cannot get any performance over 4x with this drive
    > and media.
    >> >
    >> > I have chatted with several members of www.cdfreaks.com and they
    >> > indicate no problems burning 8x to this media with this NEC burner.
    > So,
    >> > I am down to trying to troubleshoot any hardware problems that
    > might be
    >> > causing this problem.
    >> >
    >> > Things I have tried.
    >> > Set drives to master and slave instead of Cable Select
    >> > Changed IDE cable
    >> > Tried Nero as well as Roxio
    >> > Made sure Ultra DMA2 is selected.
    >> > Tried a different physical Fuji disk.
    >> >
    >> > Things I have thought about
    >> > upgrading BIOS from A05 to A08 (hesitate cause I have read
    > about
    >> > firewire card problems and I run a firewire card in this pc).
    >> >
    >> > My machine is running Windows XP with all latest hotfixes (with
    >> > exception of SP2.....still waiting on that one).
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >

    >> Well, I figured out my own problem. It was that I was performing
    > test
    >> burns and not real burns. For some reason, the tests only go 4x and
    >> that is all.
    >>
    >> Once I switched to truly burning discs, 8x was no problem at all with
    >> the media that I was using.

Dell DVD Burner Computers