Gen 1 Night vision.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

I have been wondering if using a night vision monocular would be of
assistance while shooting rabbits and foxes at night, as a suplement to the
rifle mounted lamp I currently use. Some of the gen 1 units seem to be
reasonably priced nowadays.
Does anyone have any experience with these units? Would they be usefull for
spotting rabbits at 70 or 80 metres on a pitch black night?
I was thinking I could spot the quarry and then switch the lamp on to get a
proper aim without spooking them.
TIA

Sean

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Sean" <seansafetypin@rpe-colne.co.uk> wrote in

> I have been wondering if using a night vision monocular would be of
> assistance while shooting rabbits and foxes at night, as a suplement
> to the rifle mounted lamp I currently use. Some of the gen 1 units
> seem to be reasonably priced nowadays.
> Does anyone have any experience with these units? Would they be
> usefull for spotting rabbits at 70 or 80 metres on a pitch black
> night? I was thinking I could spot the quarry and then switch the lamp
> on to get a proper aim without spooking them.
> TIA
>
> Sean

Why not use a red filter? Foxes and rabbits are not so easily spooked by
light at this end of the spectrum but you will still see them. And its
CHEAP!!<g>

Derry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Sean wrote:
> I have been wondering if using a night vision monocular would be of
> assistance while shooting rabbits and foxes at night, as a suplement to the
> rifle mounted lamp I currently use. Some of the gen 1 units seem to be
> reasonably priced nowadays.
> Does anyone have any experience with these units? Would they be usefull for
> spotting rabbits at 70 or 80 metres on a pitch black night?
> I was thinking I could spot the quarry and then switch the lamp on to get a
> proper aim without spooking them.
> TIA
>
> Sean

I have a couple of GEN 1 and frankly unless your looking to spend money
on the "top" end kit (£200 +) then forget it!

These £50 or £60 monoculars on ebay will have poor optical clarity and
rabbits will just blend in to the background at 80 yds.

Binoculars are better than monoculars and gen 1+ binoculars can be had
for a couple of hundred pounds. With such kit, I spot rabbits out to the
80 yd range.

Gen2 is slightly better than GEN1 but most of the stuff is military and
is not designed to spot rabbit size targets. I have just sold a GEN3
rifle scope, that *was* good, very good but IMO not worth the 2k I sold
it for.

HTH

John

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Thanks very much chaps.
You have saved me some money. I shall keep it in my wallet and stick to
using the lamp.

Best regards

Sean

"Derry Argue" <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Sean" <seansafetypin@rpe-colne.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> I have been wondering if using a night vision monocular would be of
>> assistance while shooting rabbits and foxes at night, as a suplement
>> to the rifle mounted lamp I currently use. Some of the gen 1 units
>> seem to be reasonably priced nowadays.
>> Does anyone have any experience with these units? Would they be
>> usefull for spotting rabbits at 70 or 80 metres on a pitch black
>> night? I was thinking I could spot the quarry and then switch the lamp
>> on to get a proper aim without spooking them.
>> TIA
>>
>> Sean
>>

> Why not use a red filter? Foxes and rabbits are not so easily spooked by
> light at this end of the spectrum but you will still see them. And its
> CHEAP!!<g>
>
> Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:25:20 +0100, John
<john.p.young*removethislittlebit*@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I've used night vision equipment for a good few years now and frankly,
>eveytime I buy a new scope, it leaves me begging the question "Why".

It's what one of the other readers used to call
the 'Kit Monster'. It hides in your gun cupboard and
sends subliminal messages about empty spaces needing to
be filled, or money standing idle in a bank account ;-)

Eventually you have to give in, and you tell
yourself that 'surely things must have got better over
the years since you last bought the 'latest whatever'.
Quite often it's only the advertising which has got
better. It took me years to finally admit to myself
that Eley Wasps were the most consistent and reliable
killers in any of my air rifles. And even now I'd
still feel the need to try any new and innovative
designs. Sad, isn't it? ;-)

Gyppo

John Craggs - Writer - Adult Tutor - Storyteller
and All-Round Rogue
Need a laugh? Then subscribe to the free Monday Silly Digest:
mail to: gyppo1@ntlworld.com With 'MSD SUB' as subject.

TRENDING THREADS