Blue screen at start up; after installing drivers

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi forum, once again.

I am experiencing problems with my computer. I'm building a new rig, but have not got it finished yet, so I'm trying to use my Compaq Presario until I have the final pieces to my new rig. I popped in my GPU and tried to boot into Windows 7 one day, after having used Ubuntu for three weeks straight, now I get a blue screen at start up, when I have the GPU in, that says I should try to reset the device display [it goes too fast for me to catch anything els]. Safe mode works, but I have no internet connection to be able to download anything that I might need. I also checked the device manager through Safe Mode and my GPU is update to date.
I'll post the log files and the GPU at the end.

The card was working before, so I'm not sure what happened. Here are some things I tried via online searching including this forum;

Reinstall Windows completely
Uninstall NVIDIA drivers, reboot, and reinstall
Not update GPU drivers
Switching the BIOS to my GPU slot

GPU: GeForce Sparkle 6600 LE 256mb

Report file;

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8004FC34E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800F20C19C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\013013-10670-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ysmir\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34195-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The other file is a dmp file and an xml file I have no idea how to open. If they are needed I saved a copy to a USB and will upload to mediafire.

Any and all kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Cael

Rusty1983

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
This would be much easier to diagnose if you had an internet connection.
My advice, take it to a friends house, borrow their connection for 15 mins, start windows in Safe mode with networking, then navigate to device manager to update your drivers, if you don't have network drivers installed, use a USB drive on another computer to download them and install them via safe mode.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi

I have internet connection, but in safe mode it tells me I do not have an internet connection. I'm using the same computer, only in Kubuntu. Yes, I have downloaded and installed this driver for my 64bit computer;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-307.74-whql-driver.html

Which Nvidia told me was the correct driver, and the GeForce auto detect even linked me to. When in Safe Mode, the device manager reports it is already updated.

My motherboard's graphics did an update, too, and installed a driver for the on board. Could this be a problem? I tried stopping it from installing after all else failed, but it does it either without telling me in a popup or won't let me stop it.

When the computer reboots, press F8 to get to Safe Mode like you've been doing, but select the option for Safe Mode with Networking. This will give you internet connectivity.

I would also recommend uploading your .dmp file, instructions HERE , to Skydrive or some other cloud site so that someone can analyze it for you and figure out which file is the source.

Give me a minute to analyze the file. I'll update my post when I'm done. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

UPDATE:
The source file indicated in the dump file is dxgkrnl.sys.

There is more information on it HERE and a possible solution.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi

Unfortunately the only solution in that thread that works for me is uninstalling my GPU driver and removing the actual GPU. All my cords are plugged in correctly as well.

You may be at the most recent version of Direct X but run dxdiag from the start menu by searching for it and see what version you are using.

Go ahead, just for kicks and giggles, and try updating it. Maybe there is a corrupt file somewhere within it causing the issue.

There is more information over on SevenForums found HERE which sounds similar. Try running FurMark and let the system stress for a bit and see what happens.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi,

I opened dxdiag and it is scanning for digitally signed signatures, but it says DirectX is "DirectX 11". The rest of the information has not finished loading yet.

Also, I looked into my Device Manager, clicked into my GPU's driver and it said it was 307.74. However, when I clicked it and clicked "update drivers" it scanned the internet for a good while and reported it installed an updated driver.

This is what, appearance wise, the process looked like;
http://s7.postimage.org/g9zvddesb/Capture2.png (before update)
http://s9.postimage.org/40sz31xbz/Capture3.png (after update)

I'd also like to say that in the Uninstall Program area it no longer says NVIDIA Drivers and NVIDIA Control Panel, but instead "Nvidia Update 1.10.8" and "NVIDIA 307.74".

I'll try updating DirectX (is that still possible through Safe Mode?) next. As for the link you gave me, a post said not to update drivers via Device Manager but instead search up the driver online and install that way. I did that initially three times.

A poster also said it could be a CPU or Mobo problem, but Ubuntu and Windows Vista works fine. No crashes or anything.

EDIT:

Rebooted computer and it shows the Windows logo (screen before log in) but when it gets past that, the screen goes black but the light remains in "active" mode on the monitor. This is why using the GPU. I'm now in recovery mode again.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi

I've run the native Compaq hardware testing (F9) and it reports all my computer in working condition. Not using my GPU or installing any updates to the driver fixes the problem, but that would mean not using the GPU. Another solution is using Linux based distros, but that only saves me from crashings--I still can't use the GPU.

It seems to load up fine to the logo window, and then all goes black.

EDITS:

The blue screen mentions a file "nvlddmkm" or it was "nvldmkm". That's the only file it mentions.

EDITS2:

Okay, I did a fresh install (decided to try 32bit) and am now in normal mode. I haven't installed the GPU or any drivers yet. Should I try something before I try to install the way I did before?

Be sure you install the latest video driver from nVidia's site and that it is not a beta version of some sort. Take notes as you start installing different things and when it (hoping it doesn't though) starts acting up again take a look at the last thing you installed. Can't really fathom why it would be causing a BSOD via the nVidia driver unless it's been OC'd really hard, is faulty, or isn't getting enough power.

If you can get the computer to take the drivers without BSOD, run GPU-Z again (assuming you used it previously) and see what the voltage and temp readings are on a clean install.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi

I have installed 307.74 from their website, this one (http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-32bit-307.74-whql-driver.html), but it doesn't mention it being BETA. Should I try 306.97 or 306.23? As for the notes thing, it is the only thing I install as I would like to get that installed first before anything else, so I don't have to reinstall Windows and go through installing Firefox or other things I'll need. :sweat:

I never used GPU-Z. I could try, but that would involve putting my GPU in again and most likely getting the BSOD again. I'll make a restore point (and hope I can switch back to it) and then install one of the drivers (when decided which to try) and if it works, run GPU-Z.

Should I clean my fans just in case?

EDIT:

Also, I've noticed that lines/dots/odd pixel things appear at boot up with the card in, starts with the NVIDIA corp welcome screen.

I'll try the install now. My fingers are crossed!

Rusty1983

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I've had a good look over this topic and I'm almost 100% sure it is either the gpu clock/mem/voltage is set to high or due to possible problems with your previous motherboard there could be data corruption in the cards bios.

If you're getting pixelation on the nVidia screen (inside of Windows I'm assuming) then it could potentially be a defective card that is refusing to hold onto the drivers. The current version of nVidia's drivers are fine and usually will not say anything about being BETA unless they are truly BETA drivers. It also concerns me that you have the GPU out and the BSODs aren't happening.

It may be time to replace the card with a more current one. The card may not be able to handle the new drivers or direct X for some reason, which alot of older cards can't.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hello and thanks for the replies,

@Rusty1983; Before I give up on the card, how could I check those settings out or see if there is any corruption?

@hedwar2011;

It only happens at boot up screen. When I turn the computer on it shows a screen loading the GPU and displaying its information. That part is riddled with pixels and bright, ugly lines. The load screen this happen ons kind of looks like this (http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/8523/dscf00291if.jpg) only it gives me my GPU's information, not options to get into a GPU setting screen or anything like that, with the ugly lines/pixels.

I was afraid of that. I just finished another test and it did not work. This time I could not even boot into normal mode with the GPU "before" installing any drivers.

I hate it anytime I have to tell someone that it's time to replace a component like that but this literally seems to be the case because you isolated a OS or software issue by reinstalling Windows and the issue isn't present with the card out.

I'm not sure how long you've had the card but there are several different options available for under $100 (sorry I'm in the US). I can attempt to point out a few if you'd like.

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi,

I received the computer from another, so I'm not sure how old or how long the person had it before they gave it to me. The start up screen does say 2006-2009 on it, so perhaps it is too old now.

I'm in the US as well, and that would be great. The rig I'm aiming has a nice GPU that will have to be last on the "buy" list, so I'll need something in the mean time or otherwise go simple until then.

Thanks,

Newegg has a ton of options...

I started a search and made sure the bracket for under $100 was selected. Take a look at some of them HERE .

I don't think we ever discussed it but do you know what type of PSU is in the computer?

I would recommend going with one of the more prominent brands such as EVGA, HIS, MSI, etc. There are tons to be had that would be a great improvement over what you had :)

Cael

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi,

I had a 250W capable of going to 300W (so the tech guy said) with the system.

Thank you for the link! Since I have an MSI mobo (for my rig), I feel like I should get an MSI GPU. But I'm not sure if I should shell out that much money for a GPU right now. Or, at least, if I am I should get one that I'll use in my new rig and will just as I need. :lol: But as long as the GPU functions well at home programs for student and work tasks *saving Gaming GPU for later* I'll be pleased with the results. :)

I'm off to check out the link now. :D