Killing patterns

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.clays,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Been patterning my gun with various loads and did some googling in an
attempt to understand what I was seeing. Whilst loads of info on patterns
not much on what represents a killing pattern.

Came across this on DEFRA's site,

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/quarry/1.htm

Its a program that needs downloading, unzipping and running but it is
interesting. It attempts through you inputting various parameters to
calculate the kills and retrieves. You can choose various ranges, skill
levels and cartridges. Nice ballistic graphs too. Most interesting for me
were the appendices that explain how the research to make the program was
done.

Dave

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.clays,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In message <hPZwe.6419$CF.44605@news-1.opaltelecom.net>, Dave P
<davepnospam@hotmail.com> writes
>Been patterning my gun with various loads and did some googling in an
>attempt to understand what I was seeing. Whilst loads of info on patterns
>not much on what represents a killing pattern.
>
>Came across this on DEFRA's site,
>
>http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/quarry/1.htm
>
>Its a program that needs downloading, unzipping and running but it is
>interesting. It attempts through you inputting various parameters to
>calculate the kills and retrieves. You can choose various ranges, skill
>levels and cartridges. Nice ballistic graphs too. Most interesting for me
>were the appendices that explain how the research to make the program was
>done.
>

>Dave

Have a look at "Shotgunning. The art & science" by Bob Brister. Yes I
know its american, but worth a scan all the same!
larry
--
All mail is scanned for viruses using Norton Symantec.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.clays,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:46:09 +0100, Larry Armitstead
<larry@whihouse.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Have a look at "Shotgunning. The art & science" by Bob Brister. Yes I
> know its american, but worth a scan all the same!
> larry

great book - but can't half twist your melon !!
Lymans also has downrange figures for velocity and pellet energy - these
also significant.

Patterns/holes in patterns/ only relevant when one can put the shot string
where one needs to..

Scary thought - you can make a three choke difference just through shell
selection....

--
--------------------

"Newsreader" <whome@192.168.0.1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:46:09 +0100, Larry Armitstead
> <larry@whihouse.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Have a look at "Shotgunning. The art & science" by Bob Brister. Yes I
> > know its american, but worth a scan all the same!
> > larry
>
> great book - but can't half twist your melon !!
> Lymans also has downrange figures for velocity and pellet energy - these
> also significant.
>

> Patterns/holes in patterns/ only relevant when one can put the shot string
> where one needs to..
>
> Scary thought - you can make a three choke difference just through shell
> selection....
>

> --
Theres a lot to be said for patterning a gun I had a very lean time with a
beautiful sidelock, everything was as it should be handled beautifully but I
was missing easy shots. The pattern was badly blown with voids on 3 axis
you could chase a rabbit through - change of cartridge and everything was
back to even patterns
Derek

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.clays,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:22:25 GMT, Derek <delwattsspamnoman@cwcom.net>
wrote:

> Theres a lot to be said for patterning a gun I had a very lean time with
> beautiful sidelock, everything was as it should be handled beautifully
> but I
> was missing easy shots. The pattern was badly blown with voids on 3
> axis
> you could chase a rabbit through - change of cartridge and everything was
> back to even patterns
> Derek

I agree comletely. I think its best totake your favourite shell an few
scrounged sampless of some others and to check out the pattern. but I use
fixed chokes so for me its nowhere near the labout that you would have to
put in to a multi-choke
risk is you can go along way own this road and get distracted.
The phrase 'when you can shoot like George, you can choke like George'
comes to mind.
A worse risk is that you may find convergence problems with your barrels
and from that day on you will lose confidence in your gun and will want to
get rid of it, no matter how well you actually shoot with it. (maybe for
shiney 32 incher... <g>).

--
--------------------

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.clays,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In message <opstjoz1i5f94ir0@news1066ad.com1>, Newsreader
<whome@192.168.0.1> writes
>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:22:25 GMT, Derek <delwattsspamnoman@cwcom.net>
>wrote:
>

>> Theres a lot to be said for patterning a gun I had a very lean time
>>with a
>> beautiful sidelock, everything was as it should be handled
>>beautifully but I
>> was missing easy shots. The pattern was badly blown with voids on 3
>>axis
>> you could chase a rabbit through - change of cartridge and everything was
>> back to even patterns
>> Derek
>>

>I agree comletely. I think its best totake your favourite shell an few
>scrounged sampless of some others and to check out the pattern. but I
>use fixed chokes so for me its nowhere near the labout that you would
>have to put in to a multi-choke
> risk is you can go along way own this road and get distracted.
>The phrase 'when you can shoot like George, you can choke like George'
>comes to mind.
>A worse risk is that you may find convergence problems with your
>barrels and from that day on you will lose confidence in your gun and
>will want to get rid of it, no matter how well you actually shoot with
>it. (maybe for shiney 32 incher... <g>).

Hit the nail on the head here I think. Normally shoot with 1/2 & 1/2 and
had a session with world cups. Excellent results & even went to full &
full for a FITASC session with good results. Then offered RC4s and found
that the patterning was even tighter than world cups with 40 yd birds
disappearing !! Tried some other plastic stuff & shot like a handbag!
Back to plan A!
Shot 1/2 & 1/2 with world cups at the classic and whilst not in Faulds
class, was happy. Those I hit were hit well!
Larry
PS was very happy with my 32"! Loverley swing!
--
All mail is scanned for viruses using Norton Symantec.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.clays,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In message <hPZwe.6419$CF.44605@news-1.opaltelecom.net>, Dave P
<davepnospam@hotmail.com> writes
>Been patterning my gun with various loads and did some googling in an
>attempt to understand what I was seeing. Whilst loads of info on patterns
>not much on what represents a killing pattern.

You might find this useful:

http://www.jonathan-spencer.co.uk/Reference/Guns/Shotgun/Ammo/Shotsize1.h
tm

--
Jonathan

Teenage pholosophy: to be or not to be? Yeah, whatever.

TRENDING THREADS