External HDD causing problems?

cae009

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
So I have determined that for whatever reason when the computer starts with the 1TB Western Digital powered on that all hell breaks loose, The keyboard will stop working, and/or the xbox 360 controller will stop working, or my sound ports will not send sound to my razer chimeara headset, and the External HDD also will not show up in My computer until i unplug the power and plug it back in to the external. So what could be causing this I'm worried its the PSU is not enough but im hoping someone can say that I'm wrong and a 650 Watt Corsair Enthusiast Series is good enough for my computer and that I may need to back up my external and get it replaced?

The specs for my computer are as follow Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz Bloomfield 45nm Technology RAM 12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-19) Motherboard EVGA X58 SLI FTW3 (Socket 423) Graphics Acer S231HL (1920x1080@60Hz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Hard Drives 119GB OCZ-VECT OR SCSI Disk Device (SSD) Optical Drives SONY DVD RW AW-G170A ATA Device Audio Realtek High Definition Audio 

If you need anymore information as feel free to ask, Razer Naga Mouse, CM Storm Trigger Keyboard, AfterGlow 360 Remote, and Chimaera headset... not sure what else you would need, really would like to get this fixed as I need the External for Storage and I've invested too much into this machine for these problems. If it is the PSU, I would like to get some recommendations for another one. Price not really an issue but prefer to keep it up under $150 if possible, but I will pay what I must to have this thing running properly.

Sorry for the blocky text using a mobile device.

Solution
Do the following:
1. Go into Device Manager (however it is you get there)
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Adapters category
3. Right click each of the USB Root Hubs (one at a time mind you)
4. After right clicking, choose uninstall. The computer will think for a minute and it may prompt you to reboot. DO NOT reboot until you've removed all of them.
5. Once you have all of them removed, reboot the computer.
6. After the reboot, Windows should rebuild all the USB Root Hub drivers so it may take a minute. It is also best that nothing is plugged into those ports for the time being.

Once the process is finished, go ahead and try your device again.

It could potentially be the computer turning off the ports to conserve power being...
Do the following:
1. Go into Device Manager (however it is you get there)
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Adapters category
3. Right click each of the USB Root Hubs (one at a time mind you)
4. After right clicking, choose uninstall. The computer will think for a minute and it may prompt you to reboot. DO NOT reboot until you've removed all of them.
5. Once you have all of them removed, reboot the computer.
6. After the reboot, Windows should rebuild all the USB Root Hub drivers so it may take a minute. It is also best that nothing is plugged into those ports for the time being.

Once the process is finished, go ahead and try your device again.

It could potentially be the computer turning off the ports to conserve power being used.

Not sure if you know how to check each of the USB Root Hubs to see if that is the case. Its real simple to do:
1. Go back to where you can see all the USB Root Hubs in Device Manager
2. Right click each one separately, choose Properties.
3. When window loads, click on Power Management tab.
4. Make sure that check box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.

See if that helps.

Solution

cae009

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Ok, well seems like that may have fixed the issue, when I went to restart the machine the first or second time it hung up at Shuttting Down until I unplugged the External but the next two resets after that everything booted up just fine so I am hoping that the problem is resolved. Thank you for the info.