G

Tom writes:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010821/gigahertz-02.html
"The new core design reduces the heat production of the new Duron and the thermal diode can safe its life, even though the implementation is still not as fool proof as Intel's."
-----------------------------------
I need some clarification on this. Firstly, how is it different from Intel's implementation? Secondly, why is it needed? Don't current AMD motherboards power down if the fan fails?

I would also like the power consumption compared to a celeron 900, if anyone has the figures handy somewhere. Thanks.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the intel desing has the chip shut down the system when it gets to hot where as the amd has the mother baord do it

the advantage to the current method is that the temps are much more accurate then the they are which make it easier to ahvea defint turn off point also it stop the misplacement of the tempature probe which can happen now

i would not care about the heat diffrence between the celeron and the duron becuase the cleron will get killed by the duron in every ap

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

thanks wapaaga. Intel's system still sounds far more elegant to me. But I won't be buying a p4 for a while, so it's either celeron on an 815-based board or duron on a via-based board.

G

thanks aarona, I'll take a read of that. The power consumption of today's chips leaves a lot to be desired. Bring on 0.13 micron, AMD.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Get a 1 ghz tbird, its 30 bucks less than the 1ghz duron, and it will OWN the celeron, and the duron.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~