1.4 Thermal Advice?

G

I'm a newbie so please excuse my foolishness. I think I'm about to order a new motherboard with a 1.4 Athlon and 256 DDR. It comes with a Coolermaster EP5-6I11. I saw that it is AMD approved for the 1.4. Does anyone know if this is a decent fan? I don't intend on overclocking. Also, what kind of ram is best, is it CAS 2? Is there a significant difference between CAS 2 and CAS 2.5? Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by miZanthrope on 08/26/01 06:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
That HSF is adequate enough if you don't plan on overclocking. It should give you temps lower than 60 celcius, which is GOOD!
Yeah, get CAS 2.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

I'm currently running Win 98 on a Pentium 600. If I buy this new AMD chip and motherboard, can I just transfer over my hardrive and boot it up? Or will I have to reinstall windows?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
you CAN just move the drive over, however bear in mind ALL the hardware settings and software packages for your hardware will be incorrect, thus the first time you boot up windows (if it even works) windows will crack the sad's at you bigtime.

best to go with a clean fresh install with no legacy settings from you old pc.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

G

I changed my MB and windows booted up detecting all the new hardware, some conflicts that were easily fixed, worth a try. There would be no noticable difference between cas 2 or 2.5 if your not overclocking.
That HSF is ok and below 50C is even better!

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
You <i>could</i> just transfer your old HDD without much problems at FIRST. Later on, you may start having conflicts and problems with old drivers and such. Go with a clean install.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!