Athlon 1.4+ Ghz needs 400w?

G

An item on AthlonOC has suggested that you can't overclock these new Tbird CPUs without "at least" a 400w power supply. Since my 300w Antec p/s is relatively new I hesitate to buy another. I'd be glad to hear from anyone who sees the situation differently, especially since it seems to me that the wattage increase is minor and I'm not running like 8 hard drives off it.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
unfortunately i tend to agree.
ive got a 1200C and a 300W psu.
i can get 1350 really stable, 1386 if i push it, but anything above randomly locks up, and its not becuase its too hot.

the voltages on my 5V line drop too low, indicating that the psu is not supplying enough juice.

so 350 to 400 is about right yes. as soon as i can im going to replace my 300 with a 400 or 450.

its better to have extra headroom.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

G

I'm running a 1.4g Tbird on a 300w psu at the moment, overclocked it to 1596Mhz and it become unstable a little so I have backed it off to default until I get a bigger PSU (looking at the Toptower- TOPS420G GOLD psu with 2fans). Only running 2 master HDD's, CD rom, and an o/c GF2mx. + a few fans at present.

One thing I was wondering was with my monitor plugged into the psu does it effect the output power to the puter hardware?

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

I overclock with a sparkle 235 watt power supply (1200 at 1380). This ps is quieter and keeps my case 3-5 degrees cooler. It is possible to get a stable overclock with your present power supply, if you don't overdo it.

G

Buy an old 486, rip psu out and then run your mobo off your current psu and everything else like fans and monitor etc off the new psu. You should find that with your mobo having full exclusive access to all 300w it should improve things whilst everything else will run off of the 486's psu without any problem...

Or at least it worked for me :D

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

G

Its not just the number the watts that matters. Indeed, the ammount of Amps on the +5v matter for the cpu. A good 300W PSU will do a better job than a poor 450W. Either way, try b4 you buy. If your PSU doesnt cut it, get a new one. Enermax should be on top of your wishlist then, although they seem to have 2 issues:
*) resume from STR doesnt always work (vga stays black) on some motherboards
*) early 350 and 450W models with variable speed fans had a small issue with the temp sensor not being in the airflow, thereby measuring a too high temp, thus the fan blew too hard (too much noise). A new cover took care of it though.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
"One thing I was wondering was with my monitor plugged into the psu does it effect the output power to the puter hardware?"

I see no reason that it should... All the monitor outlets on the back of a PSU that I've ever seen were simply pass-throughs to the 120V line. It's just like an extension cord with 2 outlets, and should not take anything away from the PSU.

--Fltsimbuff

G

Thats what I thought. thanks

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

This whole thing about AMD chips needing high wattage PS's is a bunch of bull! Yes they are more picky about the quality of power that they receive, but the wattage has nothing to do with it unless you have a shitload of devices to power. Doesn't anyone realize that maybe it's just the chip itself that is keeping you from overclocking to a certain speed and not the power supply? If you had nothing else but a harddrive and CD-rom and a floppy a 200w power supply would power an Athlon chip. Trust me, I'm doing it. Not only do I do that with an AMD chip, I also have a PIII 800 running at 1066MHz, 2 harddrives, cd-r, cd-rom, floppy, 3dfx V5, and 7 damn fans total in my case with a 250w PS. No problems whatsoever! The point I'm making here is, just use a PS from a reputable source and you should be fine...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had <font color=red>Antec 300W PS <b>PP-303X</font color=red></b> for my Athlon 1G overclocked to 1400 without problem with 2HD, DVD and CD Burner, SCSI controller card, Zip drive and GeForce 2 Pro Video card. If you run it with 1 or 2 IDE Harddisks, CD-ROM, I don't think you need to change your PS.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Doesn't anyone realize that maybe it's just the chip itself that is keeping you from overclocking to a certain speed and not the power supply? If you had nothing else but a harddrive and CD-rom and a floppy a 200w power supply would power an Athlon chip.
I agreed. My friend has Athlon C 1G (same as mine) and Enermax 431W PS, but he can't overclock it pass 1.3G on his Epox 8K7A+ mobo while I've done it to 1400MHz with Antec 300W and Asus A7V133 (also with my Geforce2 Pro card when he has only GeForce MX).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
There is one other thing that is overlooked here....power quality from the outlet. Yes the quality of the power supply makes a BIG difference, as does the chip itself, but if your power coming in is bad so will the systems power. Junk in junk out. I can OC my 1.2 a good bit when I am plugged into a UPS, but cant at all when its not. I even get occasional locks at normal speed without the UPS, but run ROCK SOLID with the UPS installed =)

Just something else to think about!

G

Yes,the chip is the usually the limiting factor when it comes to overclocking. Athlon's just happen to be more finicky about the power "quality" not the amount of wattage (unless your case is stacked with fans and devices). I think where the misconception comes from is when you see "AMD certified" on the P/S. All that means is that it was tested for proper voltage and it passed. In other words, it's a decent power supply.

G

One thing to say" 5volt line amperage" no mater what size of the psu is CRITICAL for AMD, wether its 300,230,250,420,550 watts only comes in to it with the amount of hardware running.

Had 1.4g running on a 230 watt better than a 300w/5V-22A, had to unplug some drives to be stable at default with the 300w! go figure on 230w huh. Enermax em465pfc unit has been ordered as of right now with a 44A on the 5volt line.....

That 5v line starts to drop the more I overclock it, at 1600mhz its down too 4.85v and randomly locks up. Sit at default it just makes 5v.

HarleyMYK

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
Take a look at <A HREF="http://www1.amd.com/athlon/power" target="_new">http://www1.amd.com/athlon/power</A>. AMD does not recommend the Antec 300 for any Athlon. Having said that, I am using one for my 1200 OC'd to 1300, along with 4 IDE drives, CDROM, and CD-RW. However, if I had read the AMD pages first, I would have followed their recommendations.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have another question...

Is it better to buy the antec case (1030/1040) without a powersupply and then buy an enermax, or should a sx1040 do the job for an awesome overclock?

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>