Sign in with
Your question

All 3D Games Freeze!

Last response: in Windows 7
May 13, 2010 11:23:47 PM

I have a bizarre problem where every 3D game I play will freeze at random. Sometimes after 2 minutes of playing, sometimes after 3 to 4 hours. Even more bizarre is that if I wait for 2 minutes the game goes back to normal.

I've already ruled out overheating, video card, sound card, memory, cpu, hard drive, and power supply. All my drivers are up to date as well. This problem has been driving me nuts! Please help! :cry: 

Operating system is Windows 7 32-Bit

Here are my specs, since people always like to know:

Intel Core 2 Duo
E6600 (2.4Ghz)
Artic Cooling Freezer 7
EVGA Nforce 680i Motherboard
2 Gig Corsair Dominator DDR2 XMS Ram (Clocked at 1066mhz)
EVGA 8800gts 320 MB OC Edition
Corsair 750 Watt TX Power Supply
Creative Xi-Fi Gamer Sound Card

More about : games freeze

May 16, 2010 4:23:55 AM

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode>
m
l
May 16, 2010 4:09:55 PM

Yes, I have tried it in compatibility mode but I still get the same freezing issue.

I've almost been able to duplicate the freezing while playing Command & Conquer Generals, but it's still random.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2010 8:58:26 PM

Have you updated the BIOS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2010 4:17:50 AM

HydrogenHuman said:
I have a bizarre problem where every 3D game I play will freeze at random. Sometimes after 2 minutes of playing, sometimes after 3 to 4 hours. Even more bizarre is that if I wait for 2 minutes the game goes back to normal.

I've already ruled out overheating, video card, sound card, memory, cpu, hard drive, and power supply. All my drivers are up to date as well. This problem has been driving me nuts! Please help! :cry: 

Operating system is Windows 7 32-Bit

Here are my specs, since people always like to know:

Intel Core 2 Duo
E6600 (2.4Ghz)
Artic Cooling Freezer 7
EVGA Nforce 680i Motherboard
2 Gig Corsair Dominator DDR2 XMS Ram (Clocked at 1066mhz)
EVGA 8800gts 320 MB OC Edition
Corsair 750 Watt TX Power Supply
Creative Xi-Fi Gamer Sound Card

Can you run 3DMark or Furmark to test your graphics? Could you also add more memory by chance just to test that your computer is not running out of RAM when the game is running?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
May 18, 2010 8:37:13 PM

I did in fact run FutureMark and it worked fine, no freezing or any similar symptom. I haven't tried adding more ram, but I would find it unusual that it would run out of memory after only 2 minutes, then other times run out after 3 hours. Doesn't make much sense.

Yesterday I played many different games and experienced no freezing, so I'm beginning to wonder if a program is either forgetting to run in the background, or is starting up randomly and causing the freeze. Still, I honestly can't pinpoint the problem.
m
l
May 21, 2010 3:53:32 AM

Also I have updated the BIOS and I've installed the latest direct x stuff.
m
l
May 21, 2010 7:28:49 AM

i used to have this type of hiccup mine was caused due to i had to defrag my HDD and then it went away

Also make sure that no software that you don't need is running in the background taking up valuable resources.. also its probably best to check if your pagefile is a static size instead of windows automatically resizing it when it needs it because then it could cause some pauses when you run out of physical memory

best place to put a pagefile is on a separate HDD other than the local OS HDD, also if you need more increased virtual memory check out USB ReadyBoost converting freespace on a USB stick into VM

hope this helps
m
l
May 21, 2010 8:54:38 PM

Well, I setup the static size thing, I'll let you know if it works out.
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:54:12 AM

Well, I may have discovered the problem. I was checking my memory usage after playing Left 4 Dead 2, and I noticed that the free memory was being used up rapidly. Literally within 15 seconds over 500 mb of memory was "cached". I also noticed that my hard drive with my operating system was losing hard drive space rapidly as well. I went from having almost 90 gb, to having 70 gb in 2 days.

So my conclusion is that there may be a memory leak occurring somewhere, but without causing windows to crash. So now I need help with resolving it, otherwise I'll just re-install windows 7.
m
l
May 22, 2010 4:52:55 AM

im not familiar with Left 4 Dead 2 i haven't played it but there are some reports of this game causing CTD's and some instability and from what the wiki says that

"The current version of Left 4 Dead 2 is 2.0.1.8, with most users reporting success with bug fixes" also steam's site on L4D has a bug list on its forum http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c7f160577de1e1a14bbaff897ca8e5ba&t=1028991

could be possible that L4D has a memory leak? or possible Anti-Virus is using up resources to scan? sometimes games can clear up a temp/cache folder and it might be scanning that when it detected changes?

Also are you running multiple programs in the background like Torrent? not sure of L4D has a torrent based updater? some games have that it runs in the background example World of Warcraft, or Company of Heroes etc

you might also want to check your windows Event Viewer to see whats going on
m
l
May 22, 2010 7:25:17 AM

Well it's not just LFD 2 that has these problems. ALL my games freeze like this that utilize 3D. I run nothing in the background besides my AVG anti-virus, but that has never caused me trouble in the past.

I actually reinstalled windows 7 to see if that will fix it. If it doesn't, then it's either memory or a bug in the windows 7 software.
m
l
!