KranitzL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm Looking into getting a new comp, to use later as a server once I get more comps. I've decided on a full case, 6 CD size bays, and 4 internal and 2 external HD size. Now, someone suggested I get the parts from tiger, such as the Atlon 900MHZ with the Shuttle mobo and creative 128-Voice PCI sound card bundle. Is that Combo anygood, espec. the mobo? Also, I'm planning on getting a 20GIG ATA 100 7200RPM HD (I think the Shuttle MB only supports ATA 66, but oh well), and the refurbish vers of that HD is cheaper.. so, should I get it? I'm going for cheap but fast, a nicely expandable, especially as far as hard drives are concerned.
Thanks all!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
well I'd say that if you want to use it as a server, then you dont want it falling over, so I would stay away from cheapo parts and buy the best you can afford, it all depends on your budget and whet the server will actually be used for, if you wont fill all the drive bays, you could may welkl buy a smaller case and put the money you save into a "better" hard drive or whatever. My little server at home is made from the bits from when I upgraded, but its only a file/print server for the other pc's in the house, so if it failed, then I could just plug the printer into another system and restore files from backup- again, it depends on your setup.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

TRENDING THREADS