Ducks

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

I missed feeding the ducks for one day and now notice that there is grain
still left next morning although there are usually duck there during the
day. I felt quite guilty.

But I just checked the tide tables. Seems there are exceptionally low tides
just now -- so I am assuming that (and the approach of harvest) is the
reason for non-attendance. Anyway, got in another tonne of barley today and
have started filling up the pheasant feeders. Of course, I saw three roe
but had no rifle...

One little tiny duck on the pond which seemed to prefer to dive rather than
flush. Small grey beastie. Looks about the size of a starling but is
probably bigger. Any suggestions?

Derry

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Derry Argue" <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
>I missed feeding the ducks for one day and now notice that there is grain
> still left next morning although there are usually duck there during the
> day. I felt quite guilty.
>
> But I just checked the tide tables. Seems there are exceptionally low
> tides
> just now -- so I am assuming that (and the approach of harvest) is the
> reason for non-attendance. Anyway, got in another tonne of barley today
> and
> have started filling up the pheasant feeders. Of course, I saw three roe
> but had no rifle...
>
> One little tiny duck on the pond which seemed to prefer to dive rather
> than
> flush. Small grey beastie. Looks about the size of a starling but is
> probably bigger. Any suggestions?
>
> Derry

Hello Derry,
It could be have been a female Goldeneye they're a greyish colour overall
but with a slightly darker head and they are a diving duck.
The female Teal is a mottled brown but it's a dabbler I suppose it's
possible it could have been one odf them depending on how well you saw the
colouring and it is the smallest of our quarry ducks.
Hope this helps
Regards
Dave (www.kwacs.freeserve.co.uk)

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Dave" <deecee@theflykwacs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> "Derry Argue" <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I missed feeding the ducks for one day and now notice that there is
>>grain
>> still left next morning although there are usually duck there during
>> the day. I felt quite guilty.
>>
>> But I just checked the tide tables. Seems there are exceptionally low
>> tides
>> just now -- so I am assuming that (and the approach of harvest) is
>> the reason for non-attendance. Anyway, got in another tonne of barley
>> today and
>> have started filling up the pheasant feeders. Of course, I saw three
>> roe but had no rifle...
>>
>> One little tiny duck on the pond which seemed to prefer to dive
>> rather than
>> flush. Small grey beastie. Looks about the size of a starling but is
>> probably bigger. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Derry
>
> Hello Derry,
> It could be have been a female Goldeneye they're a greyish colour
> overall but with a slightly darker head and they are a diving duck.
> The female Teal is a mottled brown but it's a dabbler I suppose it's
> possible it could have been one odf them depending on how well you saw
> the colouring and it is the smallest of our quarry ducks.
> Hope this helps
> Regards
> Dave (www.kwacs.freeserve.co.uk)

This guy really did stay under for quite a while. My eyes aren't what they
used to be but it did look sort of mottled brown. I have, of course, shot
teal but things look different out of context!

Thanks for the info.

Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Derry Argue" <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
>I missed feeding the ducks for one day and now notice that there is grain
> still left next morning although there are usually duck there during the
> day. I felt quite guilty.
>
> But I just checked the tide tables. Seems there are exceptionally low
> tides
> just now -- so I am assuming that (and the approach of harvest) is the
> reason for non-attendance. Anyway, got in another tonne of barley today
> and
> have started filling up the pheasant feeders. Of course, I saw three roe
> but had no rifle...
>
> One little tiny duck on the pond which seemed to prefer to dive rather
> than
> flush. Small grey beastie. Looks about the size of a starling but is
> probably bigger. Any suggestions?
>
> Derry

Your description made me think of the Little Grebe.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/l/littlegrebe/index.asp

Dave

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in news:fO2Ge.6895$CF.47733@news-
1.opaltelecom.net:

> "Derry Argue" <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I missed feeding the ducks for one day and now notice that there is grain
>> still left next morning although there are usually duck there during the
>> day. I felt quite guilty.
>>
>> But I just checked the tide tables. Seems there are exceptionally low
>> tides
>> just now -- so I am assuming that (and the approach of harvest) is the
>> reason for non-attendance. Anyway, got in another tonne of barley today
>> and
>> have started filling up the pheasant feeders. Of course, I saw three roe
>> but had no rifle...
>>
>> One little tiny duck on the pond which seemed to prefer to dive rather
>> than
>> flush. Small grey beastie. Looks about the size of a starling but is
>> probably bigger. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Derry
>
> Your description made me think of the Little Grebe.
>
> http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/l/littlegrebe/index.asp
>
> Dave

I think you got it! Many thanks!

By way of interest, I was off to try for a buck at 4am today. There were
ducks on the pond but also more flighting in. So you are right, they are
using it as a day time lay up. Seem to be back to previous numbers thanks
to a new supply of barley. I shall feed in the evening as you suggest.

BTW, there was too little wind for decent stalking but just beyond the pond
I noticed a whin bush waving frantically! Obviously a buck fraying. The
unsporting brute did not show himself although I did have an interesting
ten minutes waiting for a dead branch to move. I had convinced myself it
was the antlers of the buck as he gazed at me over the heather! But it
wasn't!:(

Derry