Sign in with
Your question

P4 2GHz is the fastest PC Processor! For Now...

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2001 3:15:54 PM

Now that Intel can win more than 50% of the popular benchmark, many people will call it the fastest PC processor. A couple of weeks later, the 1.53GHz Athlon 4 will be released, which will outperform a 2GHz P4 and roughly tie a 2.1GHz P4. The question is, who will buy the Pentium 4 2GHz today, and who will wait for the Athlon4?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

More about : 2ghz fastest processor

August 27, 2001 3:37:11 PM

dude, every Amd puppet er,. puppie that I know is waiting on Intels .13micron Northwood w/512k cache, they are tired of Amd's dysfunctional and inadequate thermal solutions,

take a look a Intels thermal solution, a f**k'n masterpiece! IMO.

so if AMD releases a 1.5GHz it still wont beat Intels 2.0GHz in certain apps, it will look very much like when their 1.4GHz was up against a 1.7 or 1.8, AMD will prob win all the biz apps again(bravo!,old and pretty badly coded apps like scimark, 3dmax, povray, etc) that nobody uses anyway!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
August 27, 2001 4:05:50 PM

well I (damned refreshes) intend to hold off on Intel until 2002 when they can finally shrug off Rambus until then I'm sticking with the A4.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad:  ptooo!! :mad: 
Change the signature of the week
Related resources
August 27, 2001 6:19:21 PM

You just have to look at price/performance and amd beats intel hands down.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!
August 27, 2001 6:59:49 PM

One note in the review of the 2ghz P4 and the price/performance issue. At the end of the review they listed "official" prices. The 1400 Tbird was listed at over $250, I just ordered one **retail boxed** for $127. That should have a nice impact on the price/performance ratio!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2001 7:43:59 PM

Yeah those are BS prices. You could even get it for 108 oem on www.newegg.com

Most of the site also show that amd adavantages and intel advantages. Man...this review just make Amd look BADDDDDDDDDD!!!
August 27, 2001 10:02:35 PM

Yup....AMD has officially lowered prices on the Athlons....$130 is the highest...for 1.4ghz

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
August 27, 2001 10:10:06 PM

Northwood should be the real turning point for Intel's comeback. I am looking forward to seeing Northwood perform. Still for the money and performance AMD has a better solution in most respects, for how long I don't know. Tom is pretty well correct, unless we do engineering, lots of video or 3d rendering anything over 1 ghz can become shear over kill.
August 27, 2001 10:12:07 PM

Yeah, I saw that, but by the time you get a quality heatsink/fan you are at $127 anyway, plus with retail you get the 3 year warranty =)
August 27, 2001 10:19:11 PM

you talking about that piece of sh!t AMD Fan in the Boxed Athlon. I rather void a 3 warranty and have a processor running about 20f-30f cooler.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
August 27, 2001 10:29:10 PM

You do rather have a point, the fan isnt that great. However I have a retail 1.2 and it runs pretty cool, even with 3 10,000 rpm scsi drives in there right next to it. Guess I will see how cool this one is =) If it does get hot I can go buy a cooler and the $19 isnt bad for a 3 year warranty...........
August 27, 2001 10:32:05 PM

Well now what about Dragon Orb 3 or thermoengine with 7000rpm's delta fan with it vs. your AMD retail fan. Well my point is proven.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
August 27, 2001 10:41:20 PM

rcf84, please change your sig so Fredi might change the Sig of the Week! :smile:

I personally don't care whether I have an Intel system or an AMD system, but currently, in my opinion, the Athlon and Athlon 4 are superior for the price. If Intel can release the Northwood at the same price range as AMD processors with obivous superior performance, then I will look to Intel for my next upgrade but for now, I'll stay with my Athlon.

Man, a Pentathlon would be nice right about now. :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
August 27, 2001 10:49:36 PM

It does not appear I made this clear. YES I AGREE WITH YOU the retail fan is crappy. However the 108 chip has a 30 day warranty, and the retail has a 3 year warranty. I am paying $19 for the WARRANTY not the fan.

Actually I will buy a good fan for this and use the fan that came in the box for a duron 600 that I am putting together for my kids, which I got for $14 at an auction without fan =)
August 27, 2001 10:50:27 PM

I don't think the sig of the week would change if even if rcf...um fredi changed his sig

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!
August 28, 2001 1:19:11 AM

I think maybe I stumbled upon a legimate P4 thermal throttling issue while browsing a newsgroup today. It was enough of a concern that the Linux developers made a P4 specific modification to the Linux OS. So basically it looks like there are certain instruction sequences that can cause the P4 to throttle back. If this is old news, then I'm sorry for the rehash.

Search for "mdelay" in the following link: <A HREF="http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-27-0..." target="_new">Linux Today: Alan Cox: Linux 2.4.9-ac2</A>.

"... Add rep nop so the poor old Pentium IV doesnt go thermal slowdown every long mdelay ..."

Wish they didn't slam the P4, just state the facts if they are true.
August 28, 2001 1:39:06 AM

even if you had the money to buy a 2.0G p4 you shouldnt...
cauz the 2.2 with the die shrink is just around the corner.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2001 2:18:41 AM

AMD releases the Paly and Intel releases the Norhwood, both in the future, Intel will remain the performance leader and AMD the value leader for quite some time unless AMD comes up with a totally new core.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!
August 28, 2001 2:36:22 AM

Agreed but that where intel have alwayse do.There a + for intel but the fastest and much more useur friendly.Intel have regain what the do fastest cpu in the world.

Toms seen pretty angry on intel """again"""

Forget intel to have same price that AMD that will never happen.They just drop price if they get beat on performance.

Via P4x266 dont have the lincense and will not have one.
In the others hand SIS have one and he have it easy.

It seen clear that intel dont want any VIA chipset on there market.They want all the pie like toms say why give one to SIS.I think intel dont give there bus license because VIA have pretty bad reputation.Intel have much better reputation on stability/compability that any others.
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2001 3:07:00 AM

Intel don't give VIA licence because VIA never apply for one. And VIA has with Intel history of ripping off licences, this is why VIA made S3 purchase instead of simple licencing agreement, to steal licence from Intel! S3 had Intel licence prior to purchase. Tom getting down on Intel too much me think for denying VIA a licence when Intel have a perfectly good gripe with VIA. His "Intel wants the whole pie" concept is deceiving since SiS have licence but not VIA!

August 28, 2001 5:14:45 AM

Intel don't give VIA licence because VIA never apply for one. And VIA has with Intel history of ripping off licences,

Not sure of this in the 1 time they have try.

VIA a licence when Intel have a perfectly good gripe with VIA. His "Intel wants the whole pie" concept is deceiving since SiS have licence but not VIA!

So you agreed that toms overdo it.Soon (september) sis will release there chipset.Good or not intel have win no via because SIS is there and this time via cannot stop it.Allied Intel.

Anyway we all not that i am again p4x266.

AMD keep your VIA with you please and we take SIS.

GOOD DEAL
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2001 6:14:14 AM

Yes. I used to dislike SiS because they gave perform poorley in past. But SiS shows now chipsets they CAN build properly with the 735 as an early example. And in the early Pentium days also they build good chipsets. So now I expect they have caught up with technology.
Also ALi have good history with stable chipsets compatable also. But performance they lacked until recently. Now they too show performance available with Magik.
Both SiS and ALi have licence with Intel. Both also show technical progress. They experimented with AMD chipsets, now they can use the technology once again for Intel. And keep AMD guys happy with revisions. So as long as Intel pressures VIA and AMD performs better with SiS, VIA can suffer for all the dirty trick they playon partner, competitor, and end user!

August 28, 2001 10:10:14 AM

Only in your wildest dreams
August 28, 2001 11:12:33 AM

Quote:
this is why VIA made S3 purchase instead of simple licencing agreement, to steal licence from Intel! S3 had Intel licence prior to purchase.

If they bought a company licensed by Intel, then they have a good case that they also have the license (actual resolution depending on contract terms - limits on transfering, and so forth) - if so it wont be a steal...

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2001 4:17:43 PM

But the licence was for the Socket 370 and the terms did not allow the production of new processors on that bus, but simply the production of chipsets, etc. for that bus. So when VIA came out with the Cyrix III chip, they blew away whatever hopes they ever had for reaching another agreement with Intel.

August 28, 2001 11:32:13 PM

Northwood will move back into the performance lead for what..1 or 2 months? Then out will come Athlons .13 micron Athlon incarnation, further boosting Athlon speeds.....then a few months later comes Hammer, further improving performance, supposedly....Intel isn't standing still either, so I suspect the performance award will switch from one company to the next in a cycle for the forseeable future. Each company will just jump over the other with their processor and technology improvements.

Mark-

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2001 11:51:51 PM

Yes, but AMD is going to have to do better than that to keep up I think, the .13 micron chnage will take them to what, 3GHz at the most? Or more likely just past 2GHz? And the Hammer is not a desktop processor, time to go back to the drawing boards! Intel's Northwood should almost perform on par clock to clock with the T-Bird, don't know about the Palamino. But Intel will hold a speed advantge. It wouldn't surprize me if AMD has a new trick up their sleeve that won't be ready for 3 years! But whatever it is it will probably put them ahead of Intel for a while once more.

August 29, 2001 2:03:02 AM

Well, I guess it's anyone's guesss just where things will go. Yes, there are some solid guesses and both Intel and AMD have made some announcements of future plans. For instance, I think Hammer will move rapidly into the desktop and workstation market rapidly and may actually be the replacement FOR Athlon in 2003. It makes a lot of sense to me but I don't run AMD so am only making a semi educated guess/hypothesis I guess.

So, if AMD rolls Hammer out and it has good yields to keep prices down, we may see a move towards high end desktop acceptance as early as 12-15 months from now.

Lots of IFs I know, but that's kinda what makes it fun! (for me)

heh

Mark-

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2001 5:53:08 AM

Intel already has a .13 piece of P4 silicon running at 3.5G(supercooled)....It looks like Intel going for the knockout ...
August 29, 2001 8:07:43 AM

so are you saying that home pc users are going to have supercooled computers or what?

hmmm...

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>
August 29, 2001 12:06:26 PM

And AMD has high speed Hammer CPU's in limited sampling. That doesn't mean they are in full production yet..or will be even in the next 6 months.

Mark-

August 29, 2001 3:24:29 PM

Intel always has these fast procs. but when it comes time to produce them they always seem to have problem getting enough out and even on time.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2001 3:58:30 PM

And cheap enough.

Medication helps :smile:
August 29, 2001 5:54:22 PM

Im waiting for the 10 Ghtz, so whoever gets there first tell me.
August 29, 2001 5:56:06 PM

Yeah and I'm waiting for THZ

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
!