Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Hi

Wondering what your views on tail docking were

I live up on the Lleyn Peninsula, North wales, Very rural area sustained by
mainly farming and tourism , so were quite lucky that we can still drive
round in the back of landis and cross a road with a gun without the armes
response turning up .

Anyway I've just had a litter of spaniels six weeks ago , still some left
if anybody intrested!!!! ,
did not fancy docking and dew clawing myself so took them top the local
vet, mainly agricultural practice , dogs ect , would not do them on
the grounds of unethical practice , not illegal just unethical , vet
would do them just that if anyone found out then some of the animal
charities would take out a private prosecution against him , only vets with
seperale legal cover will now dock .
Cut a long story short he eventually agreed but I had to take them at night
under the cover of darknes , through rear entrance just in case , cash in
brown envelope if you get my drift.

Phoned the council for docked breeds following day, they dont have a single
vet in wales that will carry out this proccedure.

Proves a point , you dont have to make something illegal to stamp it out ,
just make life very very difficult.

Ive just bought a pair of very sharp scissors and a jar of pottasium
permanganate ,, so next time
im d.i.y

Ger

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Ger" <rhosydd1@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi
>
> Wondering what your views on tail docking were
>

> I live up on the Lleyn Peninsula, North wales, Very rural area
> sustained by mainly farming and tourism , so were quite lucky that we
> can still drive round in the back of landis and cross a road with a
> gun without the armes response turning up .
>
> Anyway I've just had a litter of spaniels six weeks ago , still some
> left if anybody intrested!!!! ,
> did not fancy docking and dew clawing myself so took them top the
> local vet, mainly agricultural practice , dogs ect , would not do
> them on the grounds of unethical practice , not illegal just
> unethical , vet would do them just that if anyone found out then
> some of the animal charities would take out a private prosecution
> against him , only vets with seperale legal cover will now dock .
> Cut a long story short he eventually agreed but I had to take them at
> night under the cover of darknes , through rear entrance just in case
> , cash in brown envelope if you get my drift.
>

> Phoned the council for docked breeds following day, they dont have a
> single vet in wales that will carry out this proccedure.
>
> Proves a point , you dont have to make something illegal to stamp it
> out , just make life very very difficult.
>

> Ive just bought a pair of very sharp scissors and a jar of pottasium
> permanganate ,, so next time
> im d.i.y
>

> Ger

In my opinion, the government is attempting to ban working dogs by the back
door. As anyone who knows me knows, I breed working pointers and it has
cost me a lot of money over the years. We do it because we love it. As my
taxs man will confirm, the kennels produces a consistent loss.

But the red tape is getting horrendous. I used to feed all offal purchased
from the local abattoir. I still feed unwashed beef tripe but have to jump
through so many hoops it is ridiculous. Frankly, it definitely appears to
be deliberate harassment as the vets who inspect admit the regulations are
crazy.

I needed to become registered. The vehicle used to transport the material
has to be labelled "Category 2 material - For Feeding to Dogs of Registered
Kennels". Same label of deep freezers. (This is in case the local Chinese
restaurant hi-jacks the stuff). Vehicle has to be washed out and
disinfected (with an approved disinfectant -- Jeyes won't do) on a hard
standing with a drain to an approved outlet. The dogs must be fed on a
surface that can be washed down and inside under cover in case birds get at
it! I need consignment notes for each load. I am required to keep a daily
log of how much is fed. (Had fun there, my records show use to two decimal
places!!<g>). Etc., etc.

Last year, the stomach contents from slaughtered cattle was allowed to be
spread on agricultural land as a fertilizer. Not any more! We had to get
the law changed to get it at all as hunt kennels could get it but not
kennels of working dogs. Go figure.

Is is still legal to dock your own dogs' tails? A farmer can dock the tails
of 1,000 lambs in a morning without anaesthetic or veterinary supervision.
Again: Go figure. Used to be able to buy vaccine for dogs over the counter
and do it yourself. Still can for those 1,000 lambs, but not for your dog.
Has to be examined by a vet. I get tired of telling vets their job. One
refused to vaccinate because the dog had an elevated temperature. I told
her it was stress due to travelling. She still refused. So I went to
another vet who knew her job and listened to my 50 years of experience. The
dog still had an elevated temperature but it got vaccinated. I notice vets
have no problem with their ethics when making out the bill.

Aaagh!! Don't get me started...

Derry

Malcolm

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In article <Xns96C8B87C2C26Dderryadviegundogscou@130.133.1.4>, Derry
Argue <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> writes
> [...]
>the law changed to get it at all as hunt kennels could get it but not
>kennels of working dogs. Go figure.
>
>Is is still legal to dock your own dogs' tails? A farmer can dock the tails
>of 1,000 lambs in a morning without anaesthetic or veterinary supervision.
>Again: Go figure. Used to be able to buy vaccine for dogs over the counter
>and do it yourself. Still can for those 1,000 lambs, but not for your dog.
>Has to be examined by a vet. I get tired of telling vets their job. One
>refused to vaccinate because the dog had an elevated temperature. I told
>her it was stress due to travelling. She still refused. So I went to
>another vet who knew her job and listened to my 50 years of experience. The
>dog still had an elevated temperature but it got vaccinated. I notice vets
>have no problem with their ethics when making out the bill.

I'm seriously interested in your views on docking, which I notice you
don't really mention. You presumably regard it as essential for the
well-being of a working pointer.

--
Malcolm

> The spaniel has not been to the vet for the last 4 years due to good
> health and the above so I needed
> liquid wormer for pups, the wouldnot supply because they had not seen
> the bitch during the last three years and therfore did not have the up
> to date medical records

That is blackmail, pure and simple. They know they can charge more if a
veterinary inspection is included. I'd write to both the BVMA and the
Office of Fair Trading as wormers are freely available and they are
effectively encouraging you to avoid going to the vet.

I buy Panacur sheep wormer. Not sure if you can still get this over the
counter at your local agricultural wholesaler, but I think so. (I don't
find much need to worm my dogs). Using the sheep concentrate (10%?), the
dose is 1cc per kilo for adults -- but do a search using Google to check. I
would half the dose for 4 week old pups and repeat daily over three or four
days. Panacur is pretty safe anyway and will kill most worms except tape
worm (which are harmless).

If you get unsatisfactory service from your vet, get another vet. I pass
two to get to the one I usually use. Sometimes they try to tie you to one
regular vet, I absolutely refuse to go along with that and always say I
will take it up with The Office of Fair Trading (who have carried out an
investigation into these situations).

I am not a vet so this advice is worth what you pay for it!

Derry