HOT chipset-kt266???

G

this morning i added an extra fan-actually it's my hair dryer, i set it to high speed cold directly to my chaintech 7vjd2 chipset( which have a 'huge' black heatsink )... and... the heat problem gone... i still wondering what's happening with my chipset... 266 mhz fsb is still heating the chipset-but not with 200 mhz fsb...
the chipset heatsink is as hot as the cpu's heatsink, why?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the nothbridge is just like any other critical chip. it uses power and generates heat.
thats why the northbridge has a fan and/or heatsink.
the higher the Mhz the hotter it gets.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

G

how to make it less hot? i'm planning to put-glued/drilled a small fan... is it worth? can it make my chipset's hs cooler?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Quite a few people have replaced the factory fitted heatsink/fan on their chipset, but how hot is hot? is is causing stability probs?.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Dude,
go to www.tennmax.com and look at their Lasagna BGA coolers. They are for graphics boards, but they fit perfectly on mobo chipsets. I put one on my BX chipset and it works great! Customer service is outstanding too! They will answer any questions that you have with extreme knowledge. Do yourself a favor and check them out!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
you havnt said if you are having problems or not.

all chipsets should work with standard cooling system at stock bus speeds. if it doenst. take it back.

you only need to cool that chipset if you want to keep it and/or overclock it

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
It is normal for your chipset/heatsink to feel warm, but it should never feel too hot to touch.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

actually the hot north bridge causing my system to run ONLY with 100 mhz(200 mhz effective) fsb... i manage to gain ONLY 800+ mhz-with 200+ mhz fsb... but not with 266 mhz fsb-133 x 7.5 == ~1 ghz... chaintech's north bridge has the biggest heatsink among other ddr-kt266-based mobos-most of them have built-in north bridge hsf... plus, it is as hot as the cpu's heatsink... why? do i need to use my hair dryer to cool down my hsf??? 266 fsb == overheat hs? my athlon temp is 45-50...

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can say this Chaintech Motherboards. are not the best of boards. I m useing a older 7ata mother board. One thing I do like is the dual bios and hard drive recovery. But they are not very good at some hardware if you dont know what you are doing.

I hope yours is running fine.

G

hey u guys...
my mobo is ok now-after i flashed the bios-7vjd2810, they even add some function in it... it's cooler and a lot more stable now-i manage to overclock it...
thx for your support...

TRENDING THREADS