how can I get to max out my PIII 450

Access

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2001
hi.. I want to OC my PIII 450, but I can't get it to 600(@133), OK here's the spec :
- Mobo Asus P3BF (bios updated, I forgot the version)
- PIII 450 -> work at 540(@120) and stabil (@2.0V VCore)
- Memori : 256 MB CAS 2
-> Visipro 192 MB (bus 133)
-> Visipro 32 MB (bus 100)
-> Unknown 32 MB (bus 100)
- Creative SB Live! Value
- PowerColor Geforece2 MX 400 (non OC, HSF included)
- Quantum 2,1GB (Primary) and WDC 425MB (Secondary)

The question's are :
1. Should I O/C my geforce too, cause I've read the result in many oc result, and it's only differ a little
2. the temp of CPU is around 55-62, I think it's too hot, I've seen in overclockers.com and in there was described to open the processor casing, which result dropping temp about 20 deg C, should I do this too, I don't want to risk the waranty, is there any other way??
3. I think the "unknown" memory module was the problem, is it possible that some module works fine in CAS 2 (@100) and cannot work at CAS 2 (@133)???
4. According to Sisoft Sandra 2001 SE Standard, my bus was running too high, which can cause some of the periperal working slower (PCI, ISA and AGP), cause I oc the bus @120, but works fine in 3DMark 2000 with 3600 score (I haven't post it yet, cause I think it's too slow to post)

Is there any input to max out my computer, anything would be appreciated.. thanks

G

I too am overclocking an ASUS p3b-f. I can only get mine to 120fsb stable with a PIII 800, but it's my chip that won't go any higher, could be your limit too. I would recommend taking the casing off the chip and put a bigger heatsink and fan on it. I use an Antec Monster with dual fans and removed the backing. You will have to make spacers out of a BIC pen or something if the heatsink is made to fit with the back plate on the processor. I also added a chipset cooler from Tennmax (BGA type A) Temps are very low considering I had to raise the vcore voltage to the max of 1.95v to get things stable. Also, get rid of the mixture of RAM, although MOST pc100 will do 133MHz, you should have uniformity for best results. But that still may not do it, I have Corsair PC133 CAS2 and it still won't boot windows any higher than 120MHz fsb, it will post at 124 but not load windows. One last thing too, I found that the 1008 beta 2 bios that is available on the ASUS Germany FTP helped me out with stability, you may want to try that too. BTW, 133 FSB is hard on a BX chipset that has no AGP 1/2 divider, but it can be done! As for overclocking your graphics card, you don't really notice any FPS change, but your fillrate is increased, better for high resolution gaming. A little graphics card overclock along with your AGP speed being at 80MHz (120 fsb)you will increase your fillrate. With my V5 5500 at 190MHz and AGP at 80 MHz, I can get a steady 70-75 fps @ 1280x1024x32 in Q3A and Team Arena with EVERYTHING turned on at high detail, except FSAA is off, don't need it at high res. Hope this helps you!

Access

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2001
thanks for the info, but any idea the best way to oc geforce without making any glitches???, my friend tried the gtu_3_04, but he said that it can make some of the games not working correctly, while on the others works fine, but if he didn't oced it, it works real fine with every games, and also, I have run the sisoft sandra 2001 SE standard, it tells me that my AGP only works 1X, I've search the bios and also read the board manual, but there isn't any way to increase from 1x to 2x, is there any solution to this matter.. thanks again

G

There are utilities out there that can do alot of things for you. Have you tried www.3dfiles.com? look in the utilities section for something for your gfx card. The utility that I have for my gfx card let's me select the AGP transfer speed (i.e. 1x, 2x). If you get a utility and it is set for 2x and Sandra still says 1x, then don't trust Sandra, it might just be misreporting it, it does that sometimes.