AMD K6-2/500 Asus P55T2P4

G

After running my Asus P55 board for the past couple years at 250mhz (83x3, using a Pent 233 CPU), I decided to try the AMD K6-2/500 option. Well, I can't get the cpu to go over 400mhz. I set the multiplier to 2x, which the AMD chip really translates into 6x, but I only get the 6x multiplication with a 66mhz or slower bus. The 66, 75 and 83 mhz bus speeds all boot with a CPU speed of 400mhz. I have a rev 3.10 board.

Also, the article talks about setting the voltage to 2.0 volts. According to AMD, the chip should run at 2.2 volts.

What am I missing? Could the CPU be bad? I have the chip installed now, and seems to be running OK at 400mhz, but I want 500!. The system is much faster, and seems to be very stable.

Thanks all.

Mark

G

The voltage being set to 2.2 is what it should be set to. And I suggest you run a utility like sandra to tell you what speed the cpu is running at as motherboards don't always give the most accurate answer when it comes to cpu speed.

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
right <A HREF="http://www.tweakfiles.com/processor/wcpuid.html" target="_new">here</A>.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Older motherboards do not have higher speeds in their processor table. This does not affect performance. I recommend you use WCPIUD to read the speed.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!