Dell Dimension 3000 + WinXP SP2 problems

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 12, 2004 2:15:21 AM

Deleted the old partitions and created a new one to install a fresh WinXP
SP2. Everything looks fine until I tried to install video and all the other
drivers. WinXP SP2 doesn't detect the video/sound/LAN. The drivers on the
support site don't seem to work (http://support.dell.com). Tried to execute
the files but dos prompt screen would "disappear". Ran the exe using
command line and the error was "Program too large to fit in memory" or
something like that. Tech support doesn't know (long wait even at 3:30am)
other than saying that SP2 has many troubles and to uninstall it. At first
when turning machine off/on it would dual boot into Pro and Home. I removed
that line in boot.ini and the problem disappeared. So seems it somehow
"remembered" the old install. I had already deleted the old partitions and
created a new one.

I tried the resource cd too, but when I go to autoplay and select the
system, 3000 doesn't appear under the menu. Tried to look under the
directories but nothing 3000 specific. The only 3000 drivers I could find
are the LAN drivers (R78727.EXE) dated July 1st. That installed without a
problem.

If anyone had success installing a fresh WinXP with SP2 streamed on this
machine please let me know.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 2:15:22 AM

All the drivers are on the resource disk that came with the machine.

Tom

!