cpu temp

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i am running dual p3 850's and got mbm5, the readout says both are at 45C. that's when the system is idle. i have heard that this is a lil too hot of pentiums? if it is too hot, what do i need? currently i have the retail heatsink that came attached to each cpu. and 2 case fans. should i add a 3rd fan for exhaust? thanks.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
It is hard to answer if that is too hot....how much hotter does it get under heavy load???? That is the most important thing =)

PS- I like yer quote !!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go with your gut instict. Mine says that 45C at idle is too hot. Errors start occuring typically around 55C, give or take, sometimes as low as 50C, sometimes as high as 60C, on PIII processors. So you don't have a lot of room for tepp increases under load. However, if your temp increases are small enough you'll get by. So I say run it under full load and see what your temps are. If they don't reach 55C and you don't see errors, don't worry about it. Although errors can occur at these relatively moderate temps, they do not cause processor damage.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
k, after about 40 mins of having the computer chew on a 2gb+ file to render out and doing some things in illustrator the temp never reached over 48C. bios usually reads em about 41C. would a 2nd exhaust fan help even more? thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like your fine. You really don't need an extra fan but it may help, especially whenever the room temp gets hot. I personally wouldn't bother.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
thanks guys, i never had any crashes or anything (well least related to this). i just read a few things and got paranoid, forgive me :p i think i might add a second exhaust fan tho, just cause all the drives i got in here, thanks again.