System for old fogey

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2001 11:46:40 PM

To all:

All right, so I'm only 32, but I FEEL like an old fogey now -- I'm hopelessly behind the curve on computer technology, and have been since about the IBM 486. I used to be able to figure out exactly what system and components I needed, but I no longer have the time or inclination to keep up with the developments and the bewildering morass of acronyms and numbers. Here's my question: I want to upgrade my system (currently PII-400) to something seriously powerful. Price is not a primary object. I have a Dell and am inclinded to get another or something from a similar reputable company -- I won't even pretend to be able to assemble a system on my own any more. So -- what should I get now? Should I spring for the P4-2.0 mhz? Should I wait a few months for this new Northwood chip? Is AMD really so great for my purposes that I should abandon Dell to get one? Will one of these choices postpone obsolesence for a while longer? The system would be used for gaming, word processing, and editing photos and video of the baby for distribution to grandparents.

Anything for me other than pity and scorn? (Don't sneer too much -- you will fall behind the curve someday, too).

Mister Fed

More about : system fogey

August 29, 2001 12:14:01 AM

I myself would never get a Dell or any other OEM PC. If you REALLY dont want to take the time to build it yourself either find someone to build it for you or goto a local shop. The P4-2000 is the fastest out there is you dont mind throwing your cash away. If you want to get the best price for a fast cpu go with a Tbird 1400. You may want to post a proposed system from the local vendor here and see what people think.
August 29, 2001 12:47:31 AM

What will you be using the system for??

I agree with the other guy. Go to your local computer shop and ask them to assemble a computer with some quality components you chose yourself...that will give you a superior computer that no OEM company can ever beat.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
Related resources
August 29, 2001 2:31:39 PM

There are plenty of sites on the internet that configure whiteboxes and stand behind them with good warranties. I used to use www.mpipc.com before I started building my own. They offer 3 year warranties and one year onsite. They're not as inexpensive as they used to be but they are cheaper than any brand name computer. Or if you want just tell us want you want and we could probably build a system for you.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2001 2:42:54 PM

If you can wait for just a little longer, the latest and greatest will be available with all the bugs sorted out!

Medication helps :smile:
August 29, 2001 2:50:23 PM

Ah but later it won't be the latest and greatest.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
August 29, 2001 3:22:39 PM

rofl, exactly :D 

Change what sig? And keep your C00KIE to YOURSELF!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2001 3:57:42 PM

Ok ok, was refering to when the A4 comes out to show the P4 2g how its done ,,,,ok...

Medication helps :smile:
August 29, 2001 4:04:09 PM

We'll let it slide this time.

!