HL/CS and Frames Per Second

sap220

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
Please bear with me on this....

I've heard people getting close to 100 FPS in Half Life and CS, just upgraded my PC and I'm still in the 30-50 range depending on the map/objects on the screen. I used to play using one of the larger resolution settings like 1052X800 or something, but now I've gone down to 640x480 to see if I can improve frame rates. I've tried changing the OpenGL driver from "default" to "mini Driver" in the CS config, I've played around with the BIOS, etc...

Here are my system stats:
P4 1.7 Mhz
256 DDR
Gigabyte 8i.. mother board
PNY Geforce TI4400 video board
20 inch Multisync monitor
Windows 98 SE
Cable Modem
Latest Nvidia Detonator Drivers
VSync turned off.

For all you CS players, what's your FPS, and help me improve mine.....
What benchmark program can I use to compare my performance to others with a similar system?? I used madonion before, but never really was able to compare my "score" to others with similar computers....

kai_kai

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
open-gl mode @ wutever solution u use (NOT MINIDriver!!!)

use default settings on the ti4400 unless otherwise u have read through the vid card manual n know how

try to find the 28.32 driver not the 29.42..heard its better

oh one last thing make sure in your network games screen (where you refrest the list of the servers..), check "LAN or TI" for your connection type.

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Changing your connection type will only change the number of servers you ping at once along with your rate in the game. It will not affect your fps. Though for a less choppy game, you may want to manually configure your upload rates. Usually a rate of around 10k for a broadband (ie: University backbone) and 2.5k-3.5k for modem connections. Then you can tweak your cl_updaterate and cmd_rates if you want.