Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Watching tv hdmi to computer

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 30, 2013 12:08:56 PM

Hello,
my cable port is broken on my tv, but I do have a HDMI port. Is there a way to hook up my tv using the HDMi port to my PC, but watch the TV monitor, and not the PC monitor?

Thanks,
Sharon

More about : watching hdmi computer

a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 12:24:35 PM

hi
first dont post emails on public forums unless you like getting spam
back to the topic yes you can buy a hdmi cable and plug it into your laptop and the tv...once you have connected the tv right click on desktop and select screen resolution...in there you can set up your new tv display meaning you can set it as second extended display so you can drag windows from side to side and you will see it pop up on your tv and you can also set the tv as mirror display meaning it will display the same desktop screen on both screens
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 12:31:41 PM

alvine said:
hi
first dont post emails on public forums unless you like getting spam
back to the topic yes you can buy a hdmi cable and plug it into your laptop and the tv...once you have connected the tv right click on desktop and select screen resolution...in there you can set up your new tv display meaning you can set it as second extended display so you can drag windows from side to side and you will see it pop up on your tv and you can also set the tv as mirror display meaning it will display the same desktop screen on both screens



+1

Depending on your graphics solution in your computer it may potentially be controlled by their software suite (Catalyst Control Center for AMD) allowing you to further tweak the settings.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 1:23:35 PM

alvine said:
hi
first dont post emails on public forums unless you like getting spam
back to the topic yes you can buy a hdmi cable and plug it into your laptop and the tv...once you have connected the tv right click on desktop and select screen resolution...in there you can set up your new tv display meaning you can set it as second extended display so you can drag windows from side to side and you will see it pop up on your tv and you can also set the tv as mirror display meaning it will display the same desktop screen on both screens



Thank you for responding...and I did delete my email...I should know better!

I'm not quite sure I am understanding. I want to watch regular tv programming on my TV...just need a way to do that with the HDMI port on my TV. The TV is secondary tv in a guest room location, and not near the cable box, to use the HDMI port on the cable box...so looking for another way, as the tv is located near my desk top PC.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 1:24:36 PM

hedwar2011 said:
+1

Depending on your graphics solution in your computer it may potentially be controlled by their software suite (Catalyst Control Center for AMD) allowing you to further tweak the settings.



Thank you for responding...and I did delete my email...I should know better!

I'm not quite sure I am understanding. I want to watch regular tv programming on my TV...just need a way to do that with the HDMI port on my TV. The TV is secondary tv in a guest room location, and not near the cable box, to use the HDMI port on the cable box...so looking for another way, as the tv is located near my desk top PC.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 1:48:21 PM

what is the cable box connected to?

You want to hook your tv up to your pc so you can watch tv because the cable box is in another room right?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 1:52:32 PM

You should be able to get a cable box that has an HDMI output. You could also get a TV tuner card for the computer, but then you'd have to have your computer running to watch TV.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 3:09:03 PM

te100 said:
what is the cable box connected to?

You want to hook your tv up to your pc so you can watch tv because the cable box is in another room right?


Right...I do have a cable modem connected to the PC in the same room, but no HDMI port in the modem.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 5:07:43 PM

the easiest thing to do is to get another cable box for that tv. is there already rg6 there besides whats connected to the modem? if not they will have to run another line.
m
0
l
!