AMD FIX'n TO MISLEAD THE MASSES?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
according to THG, AMD is going to set out to mislead good 'ole John Q Public, interesting.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

G

Yes according to him! But they havnt done it yet not like some well known others struggling to keep a grip... Well a lot of pc builders do it all the time anyway like a system i bought some time back: salesman>"its a genuine P3", me>"yep give me one.$$$$", then find out it was a celeron when it died.

Hell who doesnt do it?

This is why I build my own, and tell my friends not to be sold on the BIG Ghz number alone.
But I like to flame too now and then for good reason...

Medication helps :smile:

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
It's not really misleading the masses. They are already mislead by intel. But that has got to be one of the stupidest ideas they have ever had. I mean I like AMD but that would just be setting up the domino's. I hope they don't do it.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
I always thought those ratings were lame... I hope it doesn't happen.

But hey, AMD has to do something to re-mislead the masses when some other giant misleads them the first time around (cough, Intel, cough)

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Interesting.

If Intel went to PR ratings, they would have to lower the values for the P4!

I have never liked the PR system, and hope AMD doesn't stoop to using it.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Umm.. no they wouldn't isn't the pr the pentium rating?

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

G

The problem is Joe Bloggs is as thick as [-peep-] and so AMD had to come up with a thick as [-peep-] solution to get round this. And lets face Intel engineering their processor for high numbers of mhz that are in fact worth jack is just as bad.

The old PR system wasn't too bad it was just stigmitized by the fact that the old PR rating made people think their cpu was as fast as a certain processor when it was in fact no where near. If it had of been at least as fast in ALL benchmarks, then it wouldn't have been so bad. It also meant that with processors with err shall we say less well rounded abilities (can anyone say Cyrix?) could hide the fact that whilst their cpu's could perform as well in SOME applications in others well....you might as well just keep using that old 486...

Anyway at the end of the day as long as a AMD 1600 model really does perform as fast as a 1.6 p4 then what difference does it make? Afterall the PR on the front is just as misleading as the mhz on the back.

Although maybe a less misleading way of naming the processors would be a good idea, but the best situation for the consumer would be to have an industry approved standard that all cpu's used and that reffered to it's actual benchmark results.

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Instead of the stupid PR rating, why not a rating based on how many calculations it can do per second? How many gigaflops or something similiar?

What's with this msg board refreshing the sceen in the middle of typing anyway? I've resorted to typing my messege in notepad, then pasting it into msg window. Is there a setting I can change. This website has been loading really slow lately.

:tongue: The new signature still sucks! :tongue:

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
They just need a nationwide infomercial telling them which is faster. John q public doesn't know sh!t. You have to put it in very simple terms.

G

YOU WATCH INFORMERCIALS???

YOU SICK SADIST!!!

But AMd could do with advertising on tv more and explaining their case for themselves instead of relying on us to do it for them!

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I don't but John Q dufus does so maybe that's the best way to go about it.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
On another note I think a PR1600 is pretty modest. It should be more like a PR1800

G

Nah his stupid but his not suicidal...

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I swear they are like those bug light things. You just get caught in the trance and the zap!!!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I rather agree that a PR rating is bad, however if they do at least a 1400 pr1600 is realistic. The Cyrix chips should have been like 133mhz pr75. In any case there has to be something better, I just dont know it though....

amazing how intel is doing that right now! 2ghz running like a 1.8athlon (according to AMD) but we all see the benchmarkings a 1.6 would be equal to intels 2ghz chip in most apps that the general public uses.

So whos misleading who first? AMD is trying to set a standard so the public is not misinformed like they are now from intel!

you must work for intel or you are the president for intel because why the [-peep-] to you love intel so much? i bet your masterbate to intel. "oh intel oh intel omg intel" ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you are finally correct again. Wasn't it just a couple months ago that you were last correct?
AMD will earn themselves an incredible amount of bad press doing this, and will once again sink themselves to the level of con artist (or Cyrix, same thing). This will cause them to go from having no reputation to having a bad reputation in a hurry!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

ya those pr ratings were dumb... but there has to be some kind of standard to measure actual performance and not by mhz anymore... .. i think thats what AMD is suggesting and i think it needs to be done. otherwise joe shmoe will release a processor at 30ghz but will run slower then a pentium 3 800 ya know? and people will run to the stores and buy that cos they think it's super fast. someone will do it eventually...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
megaflops, like mhz or MIPS, is only a slice of the cake.

dont forget to take into account the FSB, cache sizes & memory architecture involved too.

there is no ONE mystical number that tells people how good their processor is. (course uninformed people think its Mhz)

intels got it easy as their gian PR machine can pump out the "mhz is better"

P.S. isnt it lame how amdmeltybrain hasnt posted again. sad. one post troll

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Hrm, ya know.. maybe there SHOULD be a magical statistical number that should sum up performance in one easy to read rating. The industry needs to develop some accepted standards for testing processor performance and give every released processor a performance rating based on these tests. Or instead of just one magical rating number, perhaps several to cover graphics/business/server performance etc, so that buyers with specific needs could make comparisons. I bet AMD would love that, while Intel would fight it with every penny at its disposal.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A priest and a rabi walk into a computer store..wait, that's not how it goes, ok, let's try agian....
A typical consumer walks into a computer store, a fancy one with all high priced units, $50 for a software modem, you've seen those places.
Anyway, the guy says he wants to see what the guy has in a 1500MHz unit, they guy shows him some $2500 P4 system that should only cost about $1500. The guy says "well the place down the street wants only $1000 for a 1600MHz system. And the salesman say's "yeh, what a scam, their selling 1400MHz systems as 1600MHz, you can't trust a business like that". So the guy goes back to the other store and ask him if it's true. Either the AMD salesman lies, and the guy finds out later, or he tells the truth. Either way it looks bad for both the store and AMD. Rest assured the word spreads. No typical buyer will belive that the 1600 is a legit number for a 1400MHz system.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!