A SERIOUS P4 post, no extremists please.

G

First off, this is a serious post, no extremists please. This is my first post here, and I’d LOVE it if it was worth my time to set up the account.

I have a question, I hear a lot of Intel bashing, and that’s ok, they are the “Big evil company” that every one loves to hate. That’s fine, we all need one or two. ;) But, how many people have forgotten that the P4 is a vector based processor? It is the first of it kind (to the best of my knowledge) available to the general public.

What this means exactly, I don’t know (something about 90% of your time being in a loop, and reducing the overhead for the loop). What I do know is that there are ZERO compilers available for Windows (No, not even MS’s new 7.0 compiler), and only ONE that was just release for Linux, that will actually use this.

I wish I still had the URL, but in several CAD programs (which I would assume use similar operations as video games, please correct me if I’m wrong), Intel had mad a plug-in that re-compiles the program with vector support.

In these bench marks, with this compile, it made the AMD MP perform almost 60% faster in the top 6 operation (operations used the most). This was great! But the P4 results made my jaw hit the floor (Yes, I’m an AMD user, so don’t peg me as some Intel lover.). ALMOST 3 TIMES FASTER!!! It put the P4 (in the same top 6 operation) 1.4GHz ABOVE an AMD MP 1.2 (by a large margin, from being beaten into the ground without).

I was amazed, now, I know you would never see that kind of performance boost in real life, but still, when put in a native environment, the P4 SCREAMED.

I don’t expect to see a recompile of Direct X or Windows with this compiler (sense MS is now pushing there new compiler), but it’s already available for Linux. My question is, what happens in a year or two, when this compiler is available to game companies?

Remember, the P4 is in, what I would assume, a backward compatibility mode, and NOT it’s native processing mode with current compilers.

Also, I’ve heard that AMD is having yield problems past 1.4GHz. Is this true (I’d like an answer from someone that KNOWS, and not some know-it-all jerk please)? If this is true, what happens when the P4 goes to a smaller die and can hit even HIGHER clock speeds? Also, I’ve heard that more of the ORIGIAL design for the P4 (It was scaled back remember?) will be added back in. If this is true, does that not help even more so?

In the end, I half to ask, in two, three years, when we look back at the two chip, which one will end up being faster?

I’ve been out of the loop for a while, so go easy if my info is wrong; that’s why I’m here, to get it “updated”. :)

Peace!

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just for the scaling past 1.4, People have been overclocking them (1.4 athlons) as high as 1.7 so I doubt there are any yield problems above 1.4.

When I go into a computer store I lose all means of reason for some reason.

G

Yes, but only with heavy duty coolers. Remember, OEMs CAN'T install such systems, the CPU's have to be able to work with a 4200RPM fan or LESS. To much noise, and you kill half your customer base (I sell computers, so yes, I know). :/

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I suppose with smaller heatsinks and fans like oem's use there might be a problem. But we are both speculating on the subject. Wouldn't it be nice if an intel or amd employee were a member of this board. We could get alot more accurate information on subjects such as these. Or mabe not. Who knows, But it would be no nice.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Even if there was a yield issue above 1.4 you must remember AMD is going to switch to smaller and more efficient process tech shortly, and there are many changes due in years to come from both companies that will improve performance AND clock speed......

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Agreed.

As THG points out, <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010827/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010827/index.html</A> "Pentium 4 enhancements are slowly finding their way into graphics chip drivers, games and professional applications..."

Once Intel sells enough P4s there will be strong incentive for developers to optimize their code for the P4. That's what Intel is shooting for. It's a shrewd strategy. They've done this before - remember when they came out with MMX instructions?

It's like Microsoft - sell Windows relatively cheap so you can make big money on Office and server apps.

I'm running a TBird right now, but if I can get substantially better performance from Intel (without going to the poorhouse) then I'll buy Intel. It's business, and AMD or any other processor maker will have to be competitive if they want my money. Intel has a plan - I wonder what the other guys are going to do...

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
What happens when Intel gets much better performance than AMD processors while still remaining affordable? They get my business again, that's what.

I've purchased Intel systems over AMD as recently as the K6-2 days, because it was well known that AMD didn't have great chipsets available and performance was below Intel's as similar clockspeeds. I only own one AMD system at the moment, which has a Duron in it (was supposed to be temporary, but in the time I've had it and overclocked it, I've realized that it provides more than the processing power I currently need), and I've got another partially together with a Tbird. I've built several AMD systems since my first for others, because the performance was better than available P4 processors and far cheaper as well.

Things look to be changing unless AMD has an ace up its sleeve, and my next big system may very well be an Intel again. However, I can't even think of anything I do besides some occasional video or 3d editing that would even call for something like a 3.5ghz monster. Who knows... maybe Windows Super XP 5000 will require a 3ghz processor or better just to play Freecell, heh. Anything over 1 or 2ghz is just plain overkill until the rest of the technology catches up to suitable levels. It's taken Intel a LONG time to regain the speed crown, so they must figure they're due for accolades now :D

I'll give 'em a year before I need to upgrade my Athlon 1.33, so they better have something substantially faster than AMD at a similar price or it's back to the underdog :)

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

G

good idea SerArthurDayne....
i agree with you 100%..although i currently run a P4 1.4GHZ i probably wont need to upgrade for a couple more years...

<font color=red>"You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over to far backwards" - James Thurber</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Im 50% an AMD employee, they just bought the fab I work for(fujitsu GMD) heh, and I MADE IT THROUGH THE HUGE LAYOFF W00T!!!1.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't really care who makes the processor I buy as long as the price reflects the performance. Just at the moment Amd happens to be doing that better than Intel.

G

kief:
I have not heard of this new die size, I thought the MP WAS the new die size. Do you have more information on this? A URL? Also, it's it the same class of CPU? Or is it a new generation, cause I'm only interested in this generation of CPU's for now (P4 Class, and T-Bird/Palo class).

Cause I know for a FACT Intel is doing this with the P4 (Think of the current P4 as a T-Bird and the new one as a Palo if you don’t get what I’m saying), but have not heard anything past the Palo on the AMD side.

MadMike:
Yep, but it's a tactic that works. :/ Now if you DON'T have MMX your gonna be hurting big time, cause everything uses it. Intel know this works, and will do it over and over again (AMD try’s to do this as well, but has only had mild success). It's not the nicest thing to do, but can you say MMX is a bad thing? SSE/SSE2? Sometimes the only way to get a programmer to update his or her code (Including my self) is to force him or her to do so.

Sucks don't it. :/

As for the price thing, not really worried about that. The truth is, the price difference isn't that great anymore. And now with the new SDRAM mobo's for the P4, that cap will probably be less than $100, maybe even smaller. We just need to be patient. :)

I can’t wait tell magnetic RAM is available (Two more years I think) my self! :) DROOL!

MS, ah yes, the Redmen Virus. :) They said in an interview some where that they INTENTIONALY increased the sys reqs for XP to “boost the PC hardware market”, so for that reason, and many others, I’m boycotting ALL XP products and telling others to do the same. I’ll stick with Win2K for now.

Matisaro:
Do you live in Oregon?

But ya, AMD is shipping higher end (1.2GHz+) chips UNLOCKED! My little bro just got one, he was so happy. :) I assume this is for OEM that have low end cooling in there systems so they can clock them down if needed. This is what’s giving me the yield problems if your wondering.

This is GREAT! I love talkin’ tech crap.

Solstice

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
I dunno I don't get as caught up in the whole Price performance thing like some people. I dont plan on having 75% of the same componets in a year. For me this is FUN, a Hobby a way of life. I have no issue dropping 500-800 bucks every 6 months to have [-peep-] to play with.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Palamino is essentially a cleaned and tweaked Tbird, it runs cooler, higher quality transistors, etc, with a data prefetch unit and thermal sensor on die. There is a .13 version on the way, new name and such, I can't remember it, something with a B. I won't be suprised if they break the 2Ghz mark with a Pal tho...
the Williamette is a screwed, neutered, V6 version of the P4, the Northwood is the real deal with all 8 cylinders kickin ass. I sincerely hope Intel corrects the weaknesses of the Williamette before going full on with the Northwood, I'd really hate it if Intel sells more P4s than AMD sells Athlons with the current price/performance issue. The Athlon core has a lot of potential left in it, the P4's current incarnation isn't impressing me at the least.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
[quote[ As for the price thing, not really worried about that. The truth is, the price difference isn't that great anymore. And now with the new SDRAM mobo's for the P4, that cap will probably be less than $100, maybe even smaller. We just need to be patient. :) [/quote]

The difference for the processor alone is 400 dollars, so that is the MINIMUM, difference you are looking at, thats the diff between a gf3, or radeon 2 and a tntultra, or a 60 gig hd vs a 10 gig, thats ALOT of money.

And yes I live in oregon....gresham oregon to be precise.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
[quote} But ya, AMD is shipping higher end (1.2GHz+) chips UNLOCKED! My little bro just got one, he was so happy. :) I assume this is for OEM that have low end cooling in there systems so they can clock them down if needed. This is what’s giving me the yield problems if your wondering.

This is GREAT! I love talkin’ tech crap.[/quote]

No the speed is printed on the chip, oems cannot underclock athlon chips. And the standard cooling that comes with amd chips is fine as long as you dont overclock.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~