Free dictionary engine?

March 13, 2005 12:43:06 AM

Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?

Thanks!

More about : free dictionary engine

March 13, 2005 12:43:07 AM

On 2005-03-12, Dan Stromberg <strombrg@dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:

> Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
> that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?
>
> Thanks!

The question is "what format"? I've found that there are many
readers but are limited to specific formats of the ebook; this
is more looking like install lots of readers & hope one worked.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:32:02 AM

Dan Stromberg wrote:

> Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
> that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?

What's an English-English dictionary? :-)

- Logan
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:32:03 AM

Logan Shaw wrote:

> Dan Stromberg wrote:
>
>> Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
>> that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?
>
> What's an English-English dictionary? :-)

Translating the language spoken in, say Australia to and from the language
spoken in, say, Texas?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Dan Stromberg wrote:
>
> > Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
> > that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?
>
> What's an English-English dictionary? :-)
>
> - Logan

I don't know, but he apparently could use one.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:20:35 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, at 01:32:02 [GMT GMT] (12:32:02 Sunday, 13 March 2005
where I live) "Logan Shaw" wrote:

> What's an English-English dictionary?

Maybe he means an American -> English dictionary? :-)

--
Is 'anal retentive' hyphenated?
Anonymous

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:14:53 -0600, lew wrote:

> On 2005-03-12, Dan Stromberg <strombrg@dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
>> that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> The question is "what format"? I've found that there are many
> readers but are limited to specific formats of the ebook; this
> is more looking like install lots of readers & hope one worked.

The format would need to be something that would be easy to convert to.

I was kind of thinking about seeing if I could get one or more of the
dictionaries at http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict munged around into a format
that a palm application could use.
March 14, 2005 4:33:40 AM

On 2005-03-14, Dan Stromberg <strombrg@dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:14:53 -0600, lew wrote:
>
>> On 2005-03-12, Dan Stromberg <strombrg@dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
>>> that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> The question is "what format"? I've found that there are many
>> readers but are limited to specific formats of the ebook; this
>> is more looking like install lots of readers & hope one worked.
>
> The format would need to be something that would be easy to convert to.
>
> I was kind of thinking about seeing if I could get one or more of the
> dictionaries at http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict munged around into a format
> that a palm application could use.

Sounds like when you say "free", it should be source available also.

Even mobipocket has their reader sortof free as in their standard
version without the source code but the "pro" must be purchased like
the ereader.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:35:13 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:32:02 +0000, Logan Shaw wrote:

> Dan Stromberg wrote:
>
>> Are there any free (preferably opensource) dictionary engines available
>> that would work for an largish English-English dictionary?
>
> What's an English-English dictionary? :-)

English words defined in English, of course....

There are apparently a number of dictionary engines available that
are more targeted at defining words of one language in another.
March 14, 2005 7:41:04 PM

> Sounds like when you say "free", it should be source available also.
>
> Even mobipocket has their reader sortof free as in their standard
> version without the source code but the "pro" must be purchased like
> the ereader.

I don't care for Mobipocket as a dictionary reader. It just doesn't
have dictionary features of really dictionary programs.

RoadLingua http://www.absoluteword.com/ while not free ($15.00) nor open
source, does allow you to make your own dictionaries
http://www.absoluteword.com/download/ .

Don't know if this would work for you as it misses on 2 of your 3
requirements, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Russell
March 14, 2005 7:53:07 PM

On 2005-03-14, Russell <rwkeating-remove@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Sounds like when you say "free", it should be source available also.
>>
>> Even mobipocket has their reader sortof free as in their standard
>> version without the source code but the "pro" must be purchased like
>> the ereader.
>
> I don't care for Mobipocket as a dictionary reader. It just doesn't
> have dictionary features of really dictionary programs.
>
> RoadLingua http://www.absoluteword.com/ while not free ($15.00) nor open
> source, does allow you to make your own dictionaries
> http://www.absoluteword.com/download/ .
>
> Don't know if this would work for you as it misses on 2 of your 3
> requirements, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
>
> Russell

Know of any "reader" or xlater that will convert a windows dictionary
to palm? i.e. would be very nice to be able to load & use my copy
of the Random House unabridged dictionary on my palm m125 :-)
!