Sign in with
Your question

How to retrive Windows 95 CD key

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 15, 2003 1:04:47 PM

My PC won't start. System.ini has gone bad. I tried all backup thingys, but couldn't get it going. I guess I have to reinstall Win95. But I couldn't find the original CD-key number, so I can't carry on. I know that is file which contains the key for CD, but can't remember the file name. I wonder if someone could kindly lend me hand on this. Much appreciated in advance.

More about : retrive windows key

January 15, 2003 1:25:41 PM

all 1's will work

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
January 16, 2003 8:49:50 AM

It won't work. I need to retrieve the orignal OEM serail number. Otherwise I can't reinstall Win95
Related resources
January 16, 2003 9:38:34 AM

have you tried all 1's to verify it won't work? I installed 95 hundreds of times and never had a problem using all 1's

January 16, 2003 10:03:36 AM

If there's any chance of starting your windows in safe mode you will be in luck as windows 95 displays its key in the "general systems properties tab" other windows versions do not however. Just right click on the "my computer" icon on the desktop select properties and there you are!
January 16, 2003 10:28:36 AM

Bronibbear
I can't start the Windows at tall. System.ini is totally corrupted.

Jlanka

I need CD-key that matches the original, because I can't reinstall win95 from scratch. It will wipe off all the old files.
January 16, 2003 10:44:50 AM

install it on another disk, then grab what you need off the old disk. About all you can do at this point.

January 16, 2003 10:46:32 AM

oh wait, 95 is FAT16. You could theoretically boot off floppy and grab your important files that way too.

January 16, 2003 6:26:57 PM

The only other way to save windows as you have it setup would be to obtain a copy of a windows 98 upgrade disk. By upgrading to 98 you not only save everything as you have it now but end up with a much more reliable operating system as a bonus! I wouldn't try windows XP as although it is the best of all the windows versions you'll need a fairly powerful computer a lot of ram and hard disk space which I doubt you have seeing you were only running win95.
January 17, 2003 7:02:17 AM

bronibbear Thanks for the advice. I thought I need to get into the windows in order to upgrade to win98?
January 17, 2003 8:02:28 AM

No you can upgrade to Win98 using a Win98 boot floppy. But anyway, I think I have a solution. Delete win.com and try installing again. I believe it's win.com, maybe it was win.ini, but I'm pretty certain win.com. Deleting this will delete your old key.

Then you can reinstall Win95 from the CD, when it ask if you want to install to a different directory like Widows.000, change it back to Windows. It should do the install just like a new install, only without deleting the other directories.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 17, 2003 8:03:20 AM

Oh, and on the new install, try 12395-0123456-12345.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 17, 2003 8:51:44 AM

or (as I said before) all 1's (just to prove a point) :wink:

!