Umax Mirage 11 Scanner startup problem

G

I have a Umax Mirage 11 scanner which is failing to startup properly.The Startup lights continue to blink after the normal 30 seconds.
Consequently the computer will not recognize the scanner.

Please Advise...
Thanks

G

Umax drivers can be hard to find -- and if the scanner relies on TWAIN, that can cause mystery issues unless you have a TWAIN supporting program running.
I have a film scanner which refuses to do anything until I run Adobe Photoshop Elements.

G

I think it is the scanner which is just not finishing the startup routine which is causing the computer problem. The computer will not recognize it as even being there until the scanner is up and running normally.I have all the necessary drivers and they have worked fine for many years.Photoshop CS 3 Extended has always picked it up as an import without a problem.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated....

G

Obviously, you've checked that the Umax is unlocked ? Normally visible when the carriage doesn't run across during start up.

I would then look at updating drivers -- but as I said Umax web presence doesn't seem to be all that well organised.

AnotherLimey

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Obviously, you've checked that the Umax is unlocked ? Normally visible when the carriage doesn't run across during start up.

I would then look at updating drivers -- but as I said Umax web presence doesn't seem to be all that well organised.

The carriage runs OK at startup so obviously the Umax is not locked.It has been suggested that I try a new power cable but where on earth do I find one of those ?
The driver is Silverfast which has always been reliable....but....do I have to have a driver installed just to complete startup of the scanner ? Normally I would start the scanner before even turning the computer on so that the computer would "find" the scanner when starting up.Apparently this is the correct way to proceed with this product.

I'll never buy a Umax product again as they just don't seem to care about servicing and maintaining their products.I contacted them about my problem and they happily suggested I buy a new product.At around $2000 that is not an option right now !