"What's an Athlon?"

Evlkenevl

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Stupid as it sounds, you know you've heard it. Somebody you know was eyeballing an overpriced Pentium 4 computer and you started on the same Athlon spiel that Tom is so sick of. "Faster and costs less!", you said. They went for the Pentium anyway, didn't they?

The ads did it... period. Who doesn't remember the Blue Man Group commercials for Pentium? Or the dancing lab techs? These are "feel good" ads, designed to make you think that Pentium-based computers are hassle free.

To most consumers, AMD looks like a second-rate company selling inferior products. It's because these people don't see AMD ads while watching their favorite show. I've never even seen an AMD commercial. Come on, AMD! We're tired of running your ad campaign! In order to be a major player, you have to look the part! You HAVE to bombard people with flashy images and trademark sounds or they won't get the hint!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I remember that commercial. They also had an Athlon commercial...although the Athlon commercial was absolute cheese. I hated the Athlon commercial.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Evel I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, AMD doesn't have the kind of marketing resources Intel has....about 1 /10th of Intels, if that.

That being said, my understanding is AMD will make a pretty big marketing splash (cross media) in October or November, focussing on performance over speed. Nobody I know of has seen any of AMD's new marketing campaign so we'll see when we see it i guess.

Intel, otoh, is apparently cutting their media blitz back some. Not a lot... 10% maybe? I think a lot of it is going to the OEM campaigns (Tier 1) to promote the P4 in tv commercials. I haven't seen any AMD cross promo commercials for awhile.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I've only seen the one AMD commercial and it was about a stupid train or something.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Forget the advertising!! Advertising costs alot of money, and who do you think is going to pay for it? -We are. I like the under-inflated price of AMD processors.

:tongue: The new signature still sucks! :tongue:

G

Intel blue man comercial

In canada i have see it twice.That not much.The whole campaign have 200 million on world wide so is not much.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I don't watch tv but like once every 2 weeks and I always see that commercial.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I saw one not to long ago about something like sucking light bulbs or something orange..whatever it was a p4 commercial.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
If AMD were to attempt to advertise on even half of the scale that Intel has been, they will have to significantly raise the prices of their products. Not just their processors, but everything. That would include the chipsets, and the licenses to other chipset companies to create other chipsets for AMD platforms. That all said, if AMD were to have an agressive advertising campaign, the price of their platforms would increase significantly.

That is my opinion anyways....

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
with an increase in sales and an increase in price then there would be an increase in preformance most likely.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMD takes the loosers mentality in marketing. The Bullet Train commerial would have probably put them upscale quite a bit if they would have stuck it out. But no, they decided to market their product as a generic substitute for a Pentium III. And most of the world doesn't know that the Pentium 4 is significantly slow than even the Pentium III, clock for clock.
When you go into Wal-Mart, do you buy Chips Ahoy or Sam's 39% chocolate chip cookies? Well, the Sam's cookies taste better, are not as greasy, and have more chocolate. But the fact that they have a better product doesn't put a dent in Chips Ahoy sales.
Another problem AMD has is that Dell doesn't carry them. Dell is considered to be one of the better OEM's and most people by OEM. So if Dell doesn't carry it their must be something wrong with it.
Add to that HP and Compaq using AMD only in Budget class PC's, and you start to see a trend with AMD towards maketing at the bottom.
Some of that is deserved, with VIA causing so many problems for so long, almost every VIA chipset has several flaws. And until recently it was the only good performaing solution for an AMD platform. I doubt Dell would put up with those kinds of chipset problems.
So now there are good chipsets for AMD, too bad they already ruined their chances at ever being taken seriously by the majority of consumers.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Not to mention the way that gateway screwed AMD. They just told Intel that they were going 50/50 and Intel seriously dropped price and they totally stopped AMD production.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!