Not want Win 7

derekmiles

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Thank you for replying but at my age of well over 80, I just don't know how to do it.
Could someone advise me please.
A lot of my old programmes just won't work !
Kindest regards Derek Miles.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have a legal copy of Windows XP that you can use to re-install XP? You will need that. You then boot from the Windows XP install disk and perform a full installation (a.k.a. a clean or custom install).

When you do this, everything on your hard drive now (with Win 7) will be gone, including any files you have saved. You need to save anything you want BEFORE you install XP. You can write those files to a DVD or CD, a USB drive, an external hard drive, or to another computer on your network.

Have you tried running these programs in compatibility mode? Go to the folder that they're installed in, right click on the .exe, and go to compatibility.
Enable the compatibility mode option, and set it to Windows XP.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Unfortunately I do not advise going back to XP Pro. Microsoft will officially drop support for Windows XP by April the 1st 2014 which is in just a year or so. It means they will stop releasing security patches for the OS potentially putting your computer at risk after this date.

What I would suggest you to do is to update the software that don't work anymore. Check if there is an updated version of the same software available and compatible with Windows 7. If not, you can find a replacement software that does just the same thing. For instance, if it's a software to manage pictures, find another similar one, there are hundreds of free ones over the Internet.