What is the fastest cpu I can use with Asus P2B?

Emanef

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
I currently have a Pentium 2 400 with an Asus P2B mobo, with 128mb of SDRam 100mhz.

I was going to get a Pentium 3 Slot 1 either 850 or 1000mhz, as I wouldn't need a slocket, and can keep my 100mhz sdram.

I have seen that Intel have now released Celerons of up to 1.1ghz, with a bus speed of 100mhz. What I want to know is:
- What is the fastest Celeron I can use with the Asus P2B.
- Will I be able to continue using my 100mhz SDRam (though I'll add more), as the bus speed of these faster Celeron's is 100mhz (I know it seems obvious, but I need to confirm, and you never know!)

Will I get a better performance from a 1 or 1.1 ghz Celeron compared to a 850mhz P3 of the same bus speed. Obviously the P3 1ghz will beat the Celeron of the same speed, but the fast P3's seem difficult to get hold of, and are nearly twice the price of the similar speeded Celeron.

I should also point out that I don't want to be overclocking, and I'm not looking to upgrade my mobo or getting an AMD mobo! (not in this post, anyway!)

Thanks in advance......

Emanef

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
I know that I can put in a P3 100mhz or 133mhz using a slotket (but need 133mhz memory for that), but want to know about the Celeron.

Why stay away from Celeron? It's basically a P3 with half the level 2 cash memory isn't it? For half the price...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL

yep.
costs you half the CASH.

what you get is:
half the cache
1/3 less overall performance due to the anemic 66mhz bus.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

Emanef

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
Celeron's from 800mhz and above have a 100mhz bus speed, same as the 100mh P3's.

The only other difference between these Celerons and the equivalent P3 (with 100 bus, not 133) is the L2 cache beinf half the size.

However, I can't believe that having half the cache gives half the performance! There's a lot more going on in there than just buffering data.....!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*shrug*

maybe not half... but definately a step down from the p3.

as for celleries i was thinking of the 766 and below with the 66mhz bus. forgot about the 100mhz ones.

even so... if i was in the position that i could only by a CPU of celleron class i would much prefer a duron for its increased cache size and more advanced architecture
(double pumped fsb, better FPU, different pipeline etc)
probably cheaper too!

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

Emanef

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
Are they that bad then? I knew Athlons were better, but thought Durons were similar (power wise) to Celerons, also with a reduced cache compared to the Athlon.

I've currently got a P2-400, so they'll all be considerably better!

I've also been mulling over the idea of get a new mobo and having dual celerons......

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
What are you going to do with your old pII400?

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

If you have a later revision board you can run 133fsb processor with your 100fsb ram.Under chipset features set memory timing to SPD. The memory can be run asyncronous(?)to the fsb speed.
With 133 fsb your AGP will be 89mhz .

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 08/31/01 07:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well a late celleron isnt BAD compared to a p2... but it is compared to anything else.

search toms articles.
he has a number of cellery vs durie articles.

a duron 750 can absolutely spank a cellery @ 766 (66mhz)
and latter i saw that the 800 duron can STILL spank a 800 celleron, but by a lesser margin.

at the same fsb (100) its the durons greater cache, double pumped bus and more advanced architecture that lets it win out. u can also run durons asycronously with 133mhz ram... improving performance a tiny bit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your mohterboard supports ANY coppermines it supports ALL coppermines. If it supports 133FSB you can run a PIII "EB" processor at full speed. Otherwise, your limmited to the 1000E (the oddball 1000MHz chip with the 100MHz FSB).
So find out if your motherboard can support either a PIII faster than 600MHz or a Celeron faster than 533MHz, because those were the limmits of the old processors, anything faster is a Coppermine.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Emanef

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
Yes, it can support the EB coppermines. There was a recent article on upgrading in PCW that had the same mobo & old P2, which they upgraded to a 933P3 133mhz which a slotket, but obviously I'll need to get 133mhz SDRAM for that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend the PIII 700E overclocked to 933 at 133. Even the stock PIII 700E is significantly faster than the Celeron 850, I tested those myself (on the same system). But a 700E overclocked to 933 is faster than even the new 1100 Celeron in EVERYTHING (I just read the german benchmarks).

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

The new celerons cache data path is also restricted, along with the smaller size... p3 is definately the way to go if you stick with intel.

G

You can go with a P3 800. I have an Asus p2b-s with a p3 800 so should work with your mobo as well.

There are two theories to arguing with women........neither of which work.

Emanef

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
It is easy to change the fsb settings to 133? It's probabky worth me doing that, as my AGP is only 2x, so it'd give that a bit of a boost as well. Any problems I should be aware of doing this though?