Sign in with
Your question

Free online help with my acer laptop problems

Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2013 6:18:23 PM

Im having a problem with my charging my computer and i would like to know possibly what the problem is?
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 6:33:56 PM

Check the charger with a VOLTMETER...it should be 19 volts ...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 30, 2013 6:48:44 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Check the charger with a VOLTMETER...it should be 19 volts ...

All the best Brett :) 

Thanks Brett but the main problem is my battery is being charged but when i remove the battery with the charger plugged in the computer shuts off. Would the problem be with the charger?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 6:56:18 PM

Robert Thaxton said:
Im having a problem with my charging my computer and i would like to know possibly what the problem is?

If you can run the laptop with the AC-DC Converter/Adapter connected, the likely cause is; the battery is dead. If you can't run it, the likely cause is the Converter/Adapter, or both battery and adapter.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 7:08:45 PM

Robert Thaxton said:
Thanks Brett but the main problem is my battery is being charged but when i remove the battery with the charger plugged in the computer shuts off. Would the problem be with the charger?

Why do you want the Battery out of the laptop in the first place?... The laptop runs on the Battery not on the Charger, so you can't run it on the Adapter ONLY.

It's: Charger => Battery => Laptop
Not: Charger => XXXX => Laptop

The charger converts 110-125 AC volts to 19+ DC Volts and with those 19V it charges the battery up to 12 V or slightly higher, and on the voltage the laptop runs, not on 19+ volts.
m
l
January 30, 2013 8:28:13 PM

Chicano said:
If you can run the laptop with the AC-DC Converter/Adapter connected, the likely cause is; the battery is dead. If you can't run it, the likely cause is the Converter/Adapter, or both battery and adapter.

That is a very distinct possibility because the battery is accepting somewhat of a charge but not the full charge and on my screen is showing me the adapter is not showing me that its not plugged in when it is plugged in.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 9:18:03 PM

Robert Thaxton said:
That is a very distinct possibility because the battery is accepting somewhat of a charge but not the full charge and on my screen is showing me the adapter is not showing me that its not plugged in when it is plugged in.

If I get that part right, the battery is accepting some charge while it's showing the adapter is not connected?.. Have you tested the adapter with a voltmenter?, it may be supplying less than the necessary 19 DC volts, or the wire from the converter to the laptop may have a break or partial connection.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 9:35:50 PM

Either the adapter or the charging board(part of motherboard on most laptops). Most laptops will run fine without the battery installed(every laptop I have owned ran fine without the battery). The charging board is what controls charging and running from ac or battery if ac is unplugged. So if the system is not detecting the adapter is plugged in but its still charging and running off battery the either the adapter isn't delivering the proper amount of power or the charging board is toast.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 9:47:53 PM

Chicano said:
Why do you want the Battery out of the laptop in the first place?... The laptop runs on the Battery not on the Charger, so you can't run it on the Adapter ONLY.

It's: Charger => Battery => Laptop
Not: Charger => XXXX => Laptop

The charger converts 110-125 AC volts to 19+ DC Volts and with those 19V it charges the battery up to 12 V or slightly higher, and on the voltage the laptop runs, not on 19+ volts.

Actually Chicano you most certainly can run the computer with the battery removed and only the AC Adapter connected. It's actually one of the troubleshooting steps I'll use to help isolate a bad charger (which it seems is the issue here).

@OP: If you take the battery out (which it appears has been done) and the AC Adapter is plugged in then your source is either going to be the Adapter itself or the port on the computer.

Does the charger have an LED on the power brick in the middle of the adapter? If so, does the light stay on when you plug it into the laptop? If it goes off when you plug it in, the port is damaged. If it stays on, time to replace the adapter.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 10:26:24 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Actually Chicano you most certainly can run the computer with the battery removed and only the AC Adapter connected. It's actually one of the troubleshooting steps I'll use to help isolate a bad charger (which it seems is the issue here)

OK, it's good to know... the question would be if the laptop has a limiter to use only 12 volts and not burn on 19v.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 10:31:43 PM

The 19v is converted/split into a the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails the computer requires.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 11:02:36 PM

bignastyid said:
The 19v is converted/split into a the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails the computer requires.
OK, taking notice. I've used laptops that didn't run w/o the battery so I guess this is some relatively recent innovation? I've also read that running the laptop with the battery should be safer as it acts like a UPS, so the next question is, should you run a laptop-notebook without the battery if you don't have to?

Also, this clarification should help the OP determine which; converter or battery is at fault. If it doesn't run on the converter only, that's a 100% proof the converter is bad, right?

m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 11:12:46 PM

I have never took the battery out of laptop when I wasnt using it. This use to be an issue with older battery that had a memory but this isnt a problem with the newer battery tech. Now if it does "If it doesn't run on the converter only, that's a 100% proof the converter is bad, right? " No, a bad ac adapter can cause this aswell.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 11:21:39 PM

bignastyid said:
I have never took the battery out of laptop when I wasnt using it. This use to be an issue with older battery that had a memory but this isnt a problem with the newer battery tech. Now if it does "If it doesn't run on the converter only, that's a 100% proof the converter is bad, right? " No, a bad ac adapter can cause this aswell.

That's what I meant. Some people call it the AC Adapter others the AC Converter.. and it's both, so I unwillingly keep switching.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 11:26:59 PM

My bad I though you were referring to the charging circuit for some reason. But a bad charging circuit can cause the system to not run from ac power, as would a bad ac port on the laptop.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 12:07:21 AM

bignastyid said:
My bad I though you were referring to the charging circuit for some reason. But a bad charging circuit can cause the system to not run from ac power, as would a bad ac port on the laptop.

OK, so according to OP's comments:
Robert Thaxton said:
Robert Thaxton said:

It's very likely it's either the AC Adapter or the Internal DC Converter... So, what would be the odds of either being the cause? +/- 8-9 AC Adapter to 2-1 DC Converter?
m
l
!