Sign in with
Your question

Realtek AC97 Driver Installation Problem

Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2013 6:47:57 PM

Hello,

Every time I am trying to install the Realtek AC97 on my Sony Vaio VPCL12M1E/S. And before the installation can be complete, I keep having this pop-up saying, "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software." I keep on clicking "Install this driver software anyway", and every 15 seconds after clicking on that it pops up again. I don't know how many times I had to click on that annoying pop-up. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I already got Realtek HD Audio. I'm trying to get my computer to pick up the microphone of my headset when I am using different programs like Audacity.
Please help me.

Thank you.

Stefan
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 6:58:39 PM

You shouldn't need the AC97 to use your mic, the HD should work. Connect the mic and open the sound control panel, recording tab and make the mic the default.
m
l
January 31, 2013 8:09:50 PM

I've got the HD already. I have done all that, but no microphone device from my headset ever comes up on the sound or recording devices on the control panel. I have ticked to show disabled devices, there's nothing. The sound still keeps coming from my built-in mic on my computer, which I don't want.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 11:53:30 PM

I would try another mic to check that the the mic in your headset may not work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 12:04:02 AM

Sonicstefan1991 said:
I've got the HD already. I have done all that, but no microphone device from my headset ever comes up on the sound or recording devices on the control panel. I have ticked to show disabled devices, there's nothing. The sound still keeps coming from my built-in mic on my computer, which I don't want.

Try disabling the internal MIC.
m
l
February 1, 2013 12:14:09 AM

The headset definitely does work because it worked on the other Windows 7 computer that I had until early of this January.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 12:17:00 AM

See if the information found HERE helps at all.
m
l
February 1, 2013 3:33:27 PM

I've just done that after you saying this, but then I get no sound picked from anywhere when I do that, because my headset isn't picked up in my sound devices, even having the disabled devices to be shown.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 4:23:46 PM

When the disabled devices are shown in recording and playback device tabs do you see any available output or input devices to enable? If not, I would delete the sound controllers in the device manager and re-install with the latest Realtek HD audio drivers for your laptop from Sony.
m
l
February 3, 2013 9:11:50 PM

No, nothing appears at all, even when I ticked to show disabled devices.
I have uninstalled Realtek HD, restard my PC, turned it back on, then my computer automatically installed Realtek HD after that. Is that supposed to happen?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2013 10:07:48 PM

I would do a full install of it, Windows probably just loaded some drivers.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2013 10:21:25 PM

Sonicstefan1991 said:
No, nothing appears at all, even when I ticked to show disabled devices.
I have uninstalled Realtek HD, restard my PC, turned it back on, then my computer automatically installed Realtek HD after that. Is that supposed to happen?

You may have to go as far as doing a clean boot, directions found HERE , and then remove the driver so that it isn't being locked down somehow by a 3rd party program.
m
l
February 5, 2013 1:58:38 PM

Do you mean where I have to remove the driver AFTER the clean boot? Then do I have to restart my computer after removing it?
m
l
February 5, 2013 2:41:43 PM

I can't seem to find the top picture of the link you sent me. I downloaded the driver cleaner from that link, cleaned the Realtek-sound driver, I had no luck getting my computer to pick up sound from my headset, and I couldn't use the volume buttons on my keyboard because they didn't work after that download, so I had to do System Recovery to an earlier time of that same day.
m
l
February 9, 2013 11:53:22 AM

Can anyone still please help me? I've done what I needed to do. No luck.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:42:48 PM

RealBeast said:
I would do a full install of it, Windows probably just loaded some drivers.

I'm still not having any luck. I don't know what to do next.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2013 7:58:18 PM

Okay, so to recap where you are at; please correct me on anything that is not right.

1) you did a custom re-install of Windows 7 HP x64 deleting all partitions and installing to the single unpartitioned space,
2) downloaded and installed the drivers from the "preinstalled Win 7 drivers" HERE, including chipset, audio, wireless, LAN, and graphic driver; plus any of the others you use like touchscreen, bluetooth,etc.

So now what is the status of your Windows startup, do you boot to Windows okay, but still the mic doesn't function?
m
l
February 11, 2013 4:18:04 PM

1) I did not do a custom reinstall of Windows 7, and my desktop is a Sony Vaio.
2) I have installed the drivers from the "preinstalled Windows 7 drivers", execpt for the Wireless LAN driver as my computer doesn't seem to accept the SYS files.

What way is it I need to make a boot? I'm sorry. I'm autistic and I get confused.
Is there a way to get Stereo Mix?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 5:05:14 PM

Okay, if your drivers are messed up but your system is otherwise stable, I would recommend that you do a restoration to the drivers to the original state. Download and print THIS GUIDE. Skim the first part, but read the procedure on page 23 and follow the steps.

Also, THIS GUIDE has specific steps to troubleshoot sound and microphone issues, once you get the driver repair done if they still do not work properly.
m
l
February 11, 2013 5:59:07 PM

Right, would I need to use my external hard drive if it will wipe out my programs from the computer?
Would you need the make and model of my motherboard?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 7:08:16 PM

The Sony driver restore should not affect programs, but if things go wrong it is always possible. All that you can back up is data, you cannot move your programs around other than the installer files.
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:18:55 PM

RealBeast said:
The Sony driver restore should not affect programs, but if things go wrong it is always possible. All that you can back up is data, you cannot move your programs around other than the installer files.

Just tried that. It's still the same. =(
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 4:30:40 PM

Have you tried a clean boot as hedwar suggested earlier? There are detailed instructions if you open up the Windows 7 how to section HERE.
m
l
February 16, 2013 5:53:34 PM

RealBeast said:
Have you tried a clean boot as hedwar suggested earlier? There are detailed instructions if you open up the Windows 7 how to section HERE.

OK, I've done that. Do I need to click "restart" on the Windows 7 start menu?
What do I need to do afterwards?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 6:30:30 PM

Yes, restart. Then continue reading in the linked information about how to do a normal start up after the procedure.
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:13:48 PM

RealBeast said:
Yes, restart. Then continue reading in the linked information about how to do a normal start up after the procedure.

OK, I've restarted the computer.
m
l
February 18, 2013 10:58:02 AM

RealBeast said:

I've done that and restarted the computer. I don't know what to do next after doing that as there's still no new sound device or Stereo Mix on my computer, and the volume buttons on my keyboard do not work after the restart, so I ha to do the Recovery to the point before changing the bits on the computer.
m
l
February 18, 2013 3:37:10 PM

RealBeast said:

Cab this be another way, where I change my computer back to its factory settings that it could then install Stereo Mix and where it will find my external microphone, or where you need to know what kind of motherboard I've got so that I go to the site that could help me? I just don't know what else to do. I am so confused.
I am ever so terribly sorry for troubling you with all this. I appreciate you helping me. Thank you ever so much.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2013 4:31:30 PM

Hey, not a problem. I know it is frustrating, it often seems that Sony makes it harder than it needs to be with some of their devices and drivers.

That may work and is probably worth a try. The only advice that Sony gives is to enable the device in the sound recording tab. :( 
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:13:38 PM

RealBeast said:
Hey, not a problem. I know it is frustrating, it often seems that Sony makes it harder than it needs to be with some of their devices and drivers.

That may work and is probably worth a try. The only advice that Sony gives is to enable the device in the sound recording tab. :( 

OK. Thank you. I am going to try it.
I think I may know how to do it, but I just want to make sure how to set it back to its factory settings, and it says that it requires a Windows installation disc when there wasn't one in the package with my computer.
I just hope this will work, but I'm not going to give up until I finally get the drivers and for them to work with my microphone!

Many thanks!
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:15:02 PM

RealBeast said:

Oh, and did you need to know what kind I motherboard I have?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2013 5:38:31 PM

No, it's an Intel P43 based small form factor board. I don't think that hardware is the issue, one of the Sony programs must control the ability of the microphone to show up in the sound recording tab; but since I don't have the machine in front of me I can't effectively troubleshoot that.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:12:08 PM

RealBeast said:
No, it's an Intel P43 based small form factor board. I don't think that hardware is the issue, one of the Sony programs must control the ability of the microphone to show up in the sound recording tab; but since I don't have the machine in front of me I can't effectively troubleshoot that.

OK, then. That is fine.
So, just to be safe, how do I set my computer back to recovery settings, and where it says that it requires a Windows installation disc that didn't come in the package with my PC?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2013 8:04:36 PM

You can download a legit Windows 7 image from DIGITAL RIVER. Just be sure to get the exact same one you use except in SP1.

Use you Windows key that should be on a sticker on the machine if needed for anything.

Sony support has a troubleshooting guide if you Google your model number, if you didn't get that in the manual.
m
l
February 19, 2013 8:16:49 AM

RealBeast said:
You can download a legit Windows 7 image from DIGITAL RIVER. Just be sure to get the exact same one you use except in SP1.

Use you Windows key that should be on a sticker on the machine if needed for anything.

Sony support has a troubleshooting guide if you Google your model number, if you didn't get that in the manual.

All of the ones are SP1s. I know you said to go for the exact one except in SP1.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 19, 2013 1:23:27 PM

Yes you want the same thing, except get the SP1. For example if you have Home Premium x64, get the Home Premium x64 SP1, not anything different like Pro or x86. Sorry if that was unclear.

The reason that you need SP1 is that you cannot do a repair install or many other things with an original pre-SP1 disk after the OS is updated to SP1 using Windows Update because then the disk you have is an older version and you cannot repair with an older version.
m
l
February 19, 2013 4:33:14 PM

RealBeast said:
Yes you want the same thing, except get the SP1. For example if you have Home Premium x64, get the Home Premium x64 SP1, not anything different like Pro or x86. Sorry if that was unclear.

The reason that you need SP1 is that you cannot do a repair install or many other things with an original pre-SP1 disk after the OS is updated to SP1 using Windows Update because then the disk you have is an older version and you cannot repair with an older version.

That is absolutely fine. Thank you for helping me out.
I have downloaded the one for Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and have also registered with Roxio.
So, what do I need to do next?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 19, 2013 5:03:42 PM

Whatever recovery you were doing that you said you needed a Windows installer disk to complete.
m
l
February 19, 2013 5:08:17 PM

RealBeast said:
Whatever recovery you were doing that you said you needed a Windows installer disk to complete.

Yes, that's right.
m
l
February 19, 2013 6:14:22 PM

RealBeast said:

So, what would I need to do next? Sorry for being a pain.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 19, 2013 6:40:55 PM

Sonicstefan1991 said:
. . . So, just to be safe, how do I set my computer back to recovery settings, and where it says that it requires a Windows installation disc that didn't come in the package with my PC?
You need to consult your manual for Sony specific recovery procedures, they are laid out in detail. Now you have the installer disk.

Sorry, really can't give you any specific as I do not use Sony (or any OEM) recoveries, I always unpartition all partitions and do a clean Windows installation to the single remaining unpartitioned space so I don't have to deal with OEM software.
m
l
February 20, 2013 5:46:17 PM

RealBeast said:
You need to consult your manual for Sony specific recovery procedures, they are laid out in detail. Now you have the installer disk.

Sorry, really can't give you any specific as I do not use Sony (or any OEM) recoveries, I always unpartition all partitions and do a clean Windows installation to the single remaining unpartitioned space so I don't have to deal with OEM software.

That is fine. I am looking through the manual.
What is it I need to do when I'm on the homepage of Roxio Easy Media Creator software after installing it? I'm really sorry. I feel really dumb.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 7:24:12 PM

Sorry, I don't use it -- but there is a pretty good forum for Roxio support HERE that discusses installation, and there are other forums with lots of other information specific to that program.
m
l
February 20, 2013 7:57:10 PM

RealBeast said:
Sorry, I don't use it -- but there is a pretty good forum for Roxio support HERE that discusses installation, and there are other forums with lots of other information specific to that program.

I'm so sorry, but I am just finding this all confusing. I am so sorry! ><
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 8:08:48 PM

Don't be sorry, it is all quite confusing. :)  Just take it one step at a time and try to organize the problem into discrete parts that can be solved.

It gets easier with time, I've been building computers for 30 years and learned a lot through trial and error (many errors). I wish that I could help, but I just don't use that software and all my laptops immediately get a fresh Windows install.

Have you looked at this troubleshooting guide for your model: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2010Q1_TRG_E...

Also, if you don't have a manual, here is the one for your model, although it has very little on sound issues: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Desktops/VPCL12/VPC...
m
l
February 20, 2013 8:15:22 PM

RealBeast said:
Don't be sorry, it is all quite confusing. :)  Just take it one step at a time and try to organize the problem into discrete parts that can be solved.

It gets easier with time, I've been building computers for 30 years and learned a lot through trial and error (many errors). I wish that I could help, but I just don't use that software and all my laptops immediately get a fresh Windows install.

Have you looked at this troubleshooting guide for your model: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2010Q1_TRG_E...

Also, if you don't have a manual, here is the one for your model, although it has very little on sound issues: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Desktops/VPCL12/VPC...

I have looked through and I think it makes sense from the manuals. I have already saved my precious programs and files onto a portable hard drive.
I'm so afraid that I still won't have any luck and would ask you if there is anything else I can do.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 8:27:15 PM

In addition to using a portable hard drive, put any really important stuff on something more reliable (dvds, another computer internal drive, a cloud storage). I say that because I answer a lot of threads on the storage forum about losing data from external drives, which can happen pretty easily.

What is the current status of your computer? Other than the mic issue, is everything else working normally now that you did the recovery?

As far as the Roxio, once you install it, I don't think that you need to do anything on their web site, since it is a Sony OEM version I don't think you need to register.
m
l
February 21, 2013 7:07:26 AM

RealBeast said:
In addition to using a portable hard drive, put any really important stuff on something more reliable (dvds, another computer internal drive, a cloud storage). I say that because I answer a lot of threads on the storage forum about losing data from external drives, which can happen pretty easily.

What is the current status of your computer? Other than the mic issue, is everything else working normally now that you did the recovery?

As far as the Roxio, once you install it, I don't think that you need to do anything on their web site, since it is a Sony OEM version I don't think you need to register.

OK, then.
I haven't done the recovery yet as I'm so confused. Well, when I start up my computer, there are three short beeps. I looked about that on the internet and it says about it being a Base 64x RAM failure.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 12:34:51 PM

If you think you may have a memory problem, download, burn to CD, and run MEMTEST86. You will need to start up from it if the computer will start.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:55:17 PM

RealBeast said:
If you think you may have a memory problem, download, burn to CD, and run MEMTEST86. You will need to start up from it if the computer will start.

Don't worry. I think I have sorted it out. Thank you ever so much.
So, is it now OK to set my computer back to its factory settings after clicking on the bit where it says "Reinstall Windows-Requires a Windows installation disc"?
m
l
!