Am i worrying about nothing

G

Just built a system using a gigabyte 7dxr, have two case fans and am using a coolmaster 1I11 as reccomended by amd but it seems to idle any where between 58 and 62 degrees (amd site says athlon cnan go up to 95) this is with half the cover off. Have checked the mounting of the fan and its bang on the chip as firmly as can be, thinking of getting an exhaust for between the cpu and gfx card as there is a fair amount of heat round there. Ive read that artic silver II can reduce a lot of the heat, just that means taking the sink of and scraping the old stuff of the chip (which im not sure how the best way to go about as i may damage the chip) also are shims for the chip any good..i mean would i see a reasonable decrese in temperature if i did all that.

If your system is stable, you may be ok. The arctic silver will reduce your cpu temps by 3-4 degrees on average. Scrapping off the old paste won't hurt anything. I don't apply any alcohol, water, etc, just get it off with a soft towel. I think most of the damage comes from re-installing the heatsink too many times on an amd cpu.

G

Another thing you may want to do is make sure your PSU fan is blowing out, which most new ones do, but if not turn it around. The case fans should blow towards the back of the case and keep the case closed and put tape over any holes in the sides and back, you want the fans to do the work, that's what they are there for. I know you see alot of postings about people keeping the case open, but actually missing slot covers and open cases can cause your pc to overheat instead of keeping it cooler, that's a fact. The overall goal is to have a sealed cavity and let the fans do the work.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I wouldn't really trust anytemps over 50c. 60 is just way to high.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I have to agree that 60 is on the warm side, my system stays around the low 50s. However 60 will not create stability issues in a Tbird.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Correct, but just to be on the safe side I would look for a better HSF.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!