Problems transferring windows 7 to SSD

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • SSD
Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2013 10:21:54 PM

Hello,
I am trying to transfer my windows 7 install to a new SSD.
I have read a large number of how to's etc and keep running into a problem at the final hurdle.
My primary partition (C:/) is 70GB. I have used the Windows 7 backup to create a system image on a spare Drive.
The new drive is a 256GB Crucial M4.
Do there should not be a space issue.

I shutdown the PC remove the old drives, boot with the windows recovery disk.
Detect the system image and then attempt to transfer it to the SSD.
'This is where it fails. Saying it cannot use the disk.
In the example i have read, the most likely explanation is the disk is too small, but this is clearly not the case here.
One option in the recovery is to load drivers, but the disk is being seen and recognised, and i cannot find any specific drivers for this.
Anyone have any ideas?

Dell T7500
original disks are 2x300GB SAS drives in Raid 0, running off PERC6IR controller.
new disk is plugged into SATA 1

More about : problems transferring windows ssd

a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 11:59:35 PM

When you backed up, exactly what did you backup? It should be just the system and OS partitions. If it backed up any larger drives it could be trying to fit them onto your SSD which is what's throwing up the error. You've also got to note that when Windows backup restores the partition it does not matter how much or little data is on the partiton, only how big the original partition is and whether the new drive has enough space to take it or not.
m
l
January 31, 2013 12:29:33 AM

I've always encountered problems when trying to transfer an install to a new SSD. I've always just done a fresh install to avoid any problems and issues. The problems you are having could just be the beginning from what I hear. I know it would be a best case scenario if you could just copy it over, and I've heard of it working, but to avoid headaches, I've just gone ahead and done a fresh OS install. That's just me though. Hope it works out for ya! :-)
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 2:27:28 AM

pauls3743 said:
When you backed up, exactly what did you backup? It should be just the system and OS partitions. If it backed up any larger drives it could be trying to fit them onto your SSD which is what's throwing up the error. You've also got to note that when Windows backup restores the partition it does not matter how much or little data is on the partiton, only how big the original partition is and whether the new drive has enough space to take it or not.

Hi Pauls,
I made a system image of the C:/ = 60.8GB
No other drives are backed up.
I may try a clone but getting close to giving up as nothing seems to work :( 
m
l
January 31, 2013 2:29:14 AM

bdiddytampa said:
I've always encountered problems when trying to transfer an install to a new SSD. I've always just done a fresh install to avoid any problems and issues. The problems you are having could just be the beginning from what I hear. I know it would be a best case scenario if you could just copy it over, and I've heard of it working, but to avoid headaches, I've just gone ahead and done a fresh OS install. That's just me though. Hope it works out for ya! :-)

Thanks mate,
For a variety of reasons this is something I have been trying to avoid, one of which is i don't have the install disk at hand at the moment.
m
l
!