Input about my upcoming system...

G

I posted a while back listing the components for my upcoming system. After receiveing some feedback here and over at Anandtech, and after doing some more extensive research I think I've finally reached my final list of components.

Abit KG7 Motherboard w/ (retail) AMD Tbird 1.4Ghz ($280)
512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR ($70)
IBM 60GXP 40GB Hard Drive ($108)
Pioneer 16X trayless DVD ($65)
ASUS V8200 Deluxe GeForce 3 ($375)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI ($70)
Diamond Supramax v.90 56K PCI modem ($34)
In-Win Q500n Full Tower w/300W PS ($73)

I'd like to hear what you guys think. How good does this config sound? Are these all reasonable prices?

G

Seems like a go but look at the Radeon 8500 first. Never no what it will be like. Remember tom's review was a beta card and beta drivers.

THG Rocks !

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would look at the Sound. The Sound Blaster Live! 2 is coming so it could be a super sweet rumored to kill the make the nforce sound second rate.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have any thoughts/comments?

G

Yeah my system looks pretty much the same as yours... in essence. My mobo is a MSI K7T266 Pro-Raid though...it did pretty well in a mobo squareoff either here at Tom's or at Anandtech. I'm still curious too as to what the Radeon 8500 will do as far as performace to the GeForce 3. That nVidia personal cinema thing though sounds even better, but who knows. chowder

G

About the Radeon 8500,
I read Tom's article and the results seemed quite compelling, especially since it was beta. The thing is, I'm probably going to put my order in within the next few days and I know the Radeon is still a little ways off. Anyone know the official release date?

G

BTW, get a different CPU cooler, the ones included with a retail CPU suck. I've got a Volcano five, and it is really sweet! It'll keep that tbird below 50C all the time.

Aklein

Member of the change the sig of the week lobby to congress

G

Another thing, I've heard that pioneer DVDS are really noisy. But, thats just what I've heard.

Aklein

Member of the change the sig of the week lobby to congress

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I have tested first hand both Pioneer 16x--the Tray version and the Slot version. Comparing them side-by-side, I have found the Slot version to be MUCH more quiet than the tray.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

What's the advantage of the supramax modem? Ten bucks less gets you a Creative Labs one.

From what little I've read, there's not much differentiation in this market space. Not so?

G

Dalai,
You're probably right so I'll check in to it. At $34, I guess I just assumed the Diamond was the cheapest...

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
What 'bout bigger power supply?
300W may not be enough for significant OC.

Also, if you add CD-R, OC will suffer
even more.

As mentioned before, better HSF then retail
is recommended.

G

I don't plan to OC at all...

The CD-RW drive from my current system is going into my new rig. This is the only unlisted component that'll be part of my system. I'm definitely thinking 300W will be enough, but someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Concerning the modem, if you will be using a dialup to access the internet, the hayes accura v.92 is a sweet hardware modem, which supports the new v.92 protocol, and has a max upload speed of 48000k instead of every other v.90 modems 33000k.

its only 58 bucks.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no CD-RW???

a 12x or 16x doesnt cost much nowerdays... and they are so handy.
part from that, nice system.
P.S. DONT FORGET THE QUALITY COOLER AND PSU.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
actualy.... wait wait wait!!!

just wait a little while for the new KT266A mobo's to come out!

ready toms review today about them. they look real good!

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Well, without OC, 300W PSU will work.

Better HSF then retail still stands (unless
room you keep comp is airconditioned during
hot summer days).