Replacing CRT monitor with 7ms IPS LED a good bet..

koolsam

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I have 17 inch CRT monitor running flawlessly.:D But i came to know that CRT's are not good for gaming at all.I play Counter strike and seems i'm experiencing bad input lag..Thought i could change my monitor.

Recently i found Dell S2240L while searching for monitors which comes in my budget which is an IPS led with 7ms Response time..And i read that more than 2ms is not good for gaming.But i really need an ips monitor.

If i replace my old CRT.Shall i go for dell s2240l or some other TN panel led monitor with 2ms or do i stick with CRT only ? :)

mdrejhon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Actually, CRT's are actually really good for input lag -- they are better than LCD's

If you are used to CRT, then you may notice a lot more motion blur with LCD (except for LightBoost displays, where a tweak exists to eliminate motion blur during 2D gaming)

koolsam

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

So i don't need to upgrade my monitor from CRT to IPS led?

Is the recoil or input lag related to latency in anyway? I usually get 65-95ms in counter strike ,fluctuates all the time...and i experience a very bad recoil...At first i thought it was the mouse(i use normal mouse) but later on i was wrong..

One of my steam buddy told me that,'get an LED monitor with 2ms response time,it is very good for gaming and with no input lag'...Then i heard TN panel LED monitor have bad viewing angles and IPS LED gives better quality experience but with minimum of ~5ms response time
You know its always confusing....:\

USAFRet

Titan
"I heard..."
"someone told me..."

Just like audio for the ears, monitors are very individual for the eyes. What is acceptable to your buddy may not be acceptable to you.

I have 2 HP IPS monitors (among others), and it works quite well for me. Would never go back to CRT. Heat, size, weight, power...bah.

See if you can go look at some. Not in a store, but at someones house...realworld conditions.
Then make your decision if you need to make the change.

The latency you see online is likely related to your internet connection, not your hardware. Also, the higher your FPS, the lower your latency. That is really high latency for an input to display cycle, but quite good for an online latency reading. As far as I'm aware, online games only display your internet latency.