Yellow question mark

on my PCI modem. I had to replace my hard drive and after the reinstall
I have a device conflict of some kind. I am unable to use my dial up
modem. I normally use a wireless card to my Inspiron 2650. I want to be
able to use my modem in case the cable connection goes out. I went to
the dell website and downloaded a modem driver but I still show a yellow
question mark. The delivery documentation does not show a modem
manufacture,just Modular information modem, 56Kmodem daughter card.
Any idea of where I could find the driver on the drivers cd or online?
Thanks
docfl
11 answers Last reply
More about yellow question mark

    docfl wrote:

    > on my PCI modem. I had to replace my hard drive and after the reinstall
    > I have a device conflict of some kind. I am unable to use my dial up
    > modem. I normally use a wireless card to my Inspiron 2650. I want to be
    > able to use my modem in case the cable connection goes out. I went to
    > the dell website and downloaded a modem driver but I still show a yellow
    > question mark. The delivery documentation does not show a modem
    > manufacture,just Modular information modem, 56Kmodem daughter card.
    > Any idea of where I could find the driver on the drivers cd or online?
    > Thanks
    > docfl

    The computer should have come with a blue Drivers and Utilities CD. The
    driver will be on there.

    Bob

    Only the laptops do that.
    Desktops come with a seperate modem driver CD.

    "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > docfl wrote:
    >
    > > on my PCI modem. I had to replace my hard drive and after the reinstall
    > > I have a device conflict of some kind. I am unable to use my dial up
    > > modem. I normally use a wireless card to my Inspiron 2650. I want to be
    > > able to use my modem in case the cable connection goes out. I went to
    > > the dell website and downloaded a modem driver but I still show a yellow
    > > question mark. The delivery documentation does not show a modem
    > > manufacture,just Modular information modem, 56Kmodem daughter card.
    > > Any idea of where I could find the driver on the drivers cd or online?
    > > Thanks
    > > docfl
    >
    > The computer should have come with a blue Drivers and Utilities CD. The
    > driver will be on there.
    >
    > Bob

    My last three Dell desktops had the modem driver on the resource CD.

    So, unfortunately, your statement is incorrect. Might be true on SOME
    desktops.

    Tom

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<I7OdnaRjrZj67NjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
    > My last three Dell desktops had the modem driver on the resource CD.
    >
    > So, unfortunately, your statement is incorrect. Might be true on SOME
    > desktops.

    Every Dell I have seen..including my 2400..have a separate
    cd for the modem. I HAVE NOT checked if it is also
    on the resource cd BUT would not make sense to have it on both
    cds. Tom, I'm supprised you made this statement as you
    have posted that you also have a 2400. I bet money your
    modem driver is on a separate cd (mine is titled Drivers and
    Utilities..for reinstalling v.92 data/fax modem)
    Just my 2 cents. God bless.
    Dave

    "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
    >> My last three Dell desktops had the modem driver on the resource CD.
    >>
    >> So, unfortunately, your statement is incorrect. Might be true on SOME
    >> desktops.
    >>
    > Every Dell I have seen..including my 2400..have a separate
    > cd for the modem. I HAVE NOT checked if it is also
    > on the resource cd BUT would not make sense to have it on both
    > cds. Tom, I'm supprised you made this statement as you
    > have posted that you also have a 2400. I bet money your
    > modem driver is on a separate cd (mine is titled Drivers and
    > Utilities..for reinstalling v.92 data/fax modem)
    > Just my 2 cents. God bless.
    > Dave

    I've not known Dell to put their modem drivers on the Resource CD (at least
    back to '99). Their SOP is to include either a separate CD or post the
    drivers on the website for download - or both.

    <shrug>

    Stew

    "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
    >> My last three Dell desktops had the modem driver on the resource CD.
    >>
    >> So, unfortunately, your statement is incorrect. Might be true on SOME
    >> desktops.
    >>
    > Every Dell I have seen..including my 2400..have a separate
    > cd for the modem. I HAVE NOT checked if it is also
    > on the resource cd BUT would not make sense to have it on both
    > cds. Tom, I'm supprised you made this statement as you
    > have posted that you also have a 2400. I bet money your
    > modem driver is on a separate cd (mine is titled Drivers and
    > Utilities..for reinstalling v.92 data/fax modem)
    > Just my 2 cents. God bless.
    > Dave

    My 2400 doesn't have and never had a modem. My comments are from the
    Dimension 8100 and before. Both Dimension 4550 computers, and the Dimension
    2400, came without modem.

    We're a broadband family!

    Tom

    I did try the resource CD, and there were modems listed, but after
    install I still have the question mark. I also went to the Dell
    website and downloaded a driver modem from there also with no success.
    I am probably using the wrong driver but since I don't know what the
    modem is(delivry documentation just says 56K modem). Is there a
    generic driver I could use?
    Like I said in my first post I have a wireless router connected to a
    cable modem. The problem started when hurricane Francice came through
    and I lost cable. I tried to use my dial up service and no modem was
    found.
    I had used my modem before, but I had to reload XP and after that I
    had no modem. Then my HD failed and had to reinstall yet again after
    getting a new drive from Dell.
    Thanks for the feedback people I do apprecciate it.
    docfl

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > My 2400 doesn't have and never had a modem. My comments are from the
    > Dimension 8100 and before. Both Dimension 4550 computers, and the Dimension
    > 2400, came without modem.
    >
    > We're a broadband family!
    >
    > Tom

    Come to think of it, my 4550 came without a modem, too.

    Bob

    Bob Levine <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Tom Scales wrote:

    >> My 2400 doesn't have and never had a modem. My comments are from the
    >> Dimension 8100 and before. Both Dimension 4550 computers, and the Dimension
    >> 2400, came without modem.
    >>
    >> We're a broadband family!

    >> >Come to think of it, my 4550 came without a modem, too.

    We're a broadband family, too. But that doesn't mean, since I'm
    a belt and suspenders man, I'm not going to have a dial-up ISP
    and a modem in my Dell(s), for when [not if, *when*] my cable
    internet connection goes south for a day or two [or, as in one
    memorable incident four years ago, *eight days* before they
    scheduled a G-D truck to replace the USB cable modem that
    failed].

    Both my Dimensions, an L733r and a 4400, came with separate CDs
    for the modem stuff; the D4400 even had a separate P992 monitor
    CD.
    --
    OJ III

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<TKudnSXuq-kxpNvcRVn-tw@comcast.com>...
    > "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> My last three Dell desktops had the modem driver on the resource CD.
    > >>
    > >> So, unfortunately, your statement is incorrect. Might be true on SOME
    > >> desktops.
    > >>
    > > Every Dell I have seen..including my 2400..have a separate
    > > cd for the modem. I HAVE NOT checked if it is also
    > > on the resource cd BUT would not make sense to have it on both
    > > cds. Tom, I'm supprised you made this statement as you
    > > have posted that you also have a 2400. I bet money your
    > > modem driver is on a separate cd (mine is titled Drivers and
    > > Utilities..for reinstalling v.92 data/fax modem)
    > > Just my 2 cents. God bless.
    > > Dave
    >
    > My 2400 doesn't have and never had a modem. My comments are from the
    > Dimension 8100 and before. Both Dimension 4550 computers, and the Dimension
    > 2400, came without modem.
    >
    > We're a broadband family!
    >
    > Tom
    Thats right..from the business side you can buy without a modem.
    Mine is not installed as I work for the cable company and have
    broadband for free (great benefit). Have a nice week!
    Dave

    Ogden Johnson III wrote:

    > We're a broadband family, too. But that doesn't mean, since I'm
    > a belt and suspenders man, I'm not going to have a dial-up ISP
    > and a modem in my Dell(s), for when [not if, *when*] my cable
    > internet connection goes south for a day or two [or, as in one
    > memorable incident four years ago, *eight days* before they
    > scheduled a G-D truck to replace the USB cable modem that
    > failed].
    >
    > Both my Dimensions, an L733r and a 4400, came with separate CDs
    > for the modem stuff; the D4400 even had a separate P992 monitor
    > CD.

    Well, I didn't say I didn't have a modem, just that the PC came without
    one.<g>

    That said, my DSL has gone down for a total of about 2 days in the last
    four and half years. I'd just as soon wait for it to come back up than
    suffer with dial up.

    I use the modem strictly for faxing.

    Bob

Dell Modem Dial Up Connection Computers