Anti core crush designs?

G

Ok, for all of us who have *gulp* crushed a core *cry* only wished we had a device to assist in installation such as a one use gasket or shim that was designed to support the heat sink and collapse under a certain pressure say 3-4 kg. Or alternativly have a surface ginder to produce an exact thickness shim.
The reason I brought this up was that as new bigger cpu's get hotter the heat sinks get larger, heavier and can crush a core in a flash. I was looking at the Vapochill clamshell design HS thinking that would be so easy to finish off a cpu. I dont even dare take my HSF off without a good reason from fear of chipping a bit off it.

Any ideas ?

Medication helps :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
We could all go to the amdmeltdown school of heatsink application, there we would learn from the master himself, AMDMELTDOWN. In 3 short weeks we will learn all the important steps in heatsink application such as. The toss, the hammer tap, the screwdriver twist, and most importantly, the macguyver duct tape application technique. For only 199.95 he will teach us everything he knows, and we will be able to melt amd processors like a pro!

However, on topic. Steel has sh!t heat transfer performance, the heatplate on p4's and other intel chips is steel right? Sounds like a bad idea to me. maybe a copper heatspreader instead.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well who said you cant take off the face plate. Face plates are good design no crushed CPU and custumers are happy but OCer's are not thrilled.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Sorry I dont agree, I dont like fsb o/c that much as it effects every thing else, multiplier adjustments are a better way IMO as it effects the cpu only as far as I know but then again that cannot be done on an Intel can it, how silly of me hehe.

Seems like your cookie is overclocked or should I say flogged to death for longer than a week! Seen that cookie monster around somewhere before so lookout.hehe

G

Probably right about that, but stability is what Iam after overall.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Thats why you always want to do a fsb AND multiplier overclock, which will always get you better performance than one or the other.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Copper plated steel is as bad as regular steel, the heat has to go through the steel, steel is a piss poor choice for a heatspreader material if you ask me.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Really? all of the tech sites I have seen say it is a steel heatspreader. Do you have some linkage?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
Now that I think of it more carefully,the coating is propably not silver because makes no sense.Both copper and silver are soft metals and the coating is there to protect the copper from scratching.So it could very well be steel or some hard alloy.
The article did claim that the coating is of silver.
Sorry about that.